Jackson Mayor John Horhn issued the following statement.
The City of Jackson has determined that the “Cruising on Capitol” event scheduled for Saturday, July 25, 2026, will not move forward at this time.
In light of recent concerns, the City must ensure that any future event of this kind is properly regulated, and supported by clear conditions that protect the public, neighboring properties, and City operations.
The City remains open to considering future events that meet all necessary requirements.

29 comments:
Horn has been a disappointment as mayor
Good for Hizzoner. Make Jackson Livable Again.
John called this one right. As far as COJ is concerned he needs to close all City run Departments and send everybody home. Out source management of fire, police, sewer and water (been done already), roads as well as road maintenance, and most of all hire an engineering company to do code enforcement that actually knows what to look for and will read the building and residential codes. Then enforce the codes. Key word Enforcement… The outsource companies hired must be audited once a year by certified independent auditor to guarantee there will be no kickbacks or good ole boy deals. Point is NO conflicts of interest.
John inherited a certified mess. It’s not just his fault. It started 50 years ago.
@10:10 AM And you're surprised by this? I kept saying in the comments here that he was going to be much of a disappointment as Chokwe was.
10:10, I disagree. That’s your opinion, which you’re completely entitled to. I think it’s too early to tell. He’s 1 year in trying to correct years of mistakes and corruption. I was born in Jackson and have lived here for 70+ years, so I’ve seen it all here.
Great decision, Mayor. Keep up the good work.
It's only a perception of street take-overs.
The street take-overs will continue as the JPD is no where to be found.
I guarantee you that the money downtown got his ear and rightly so. I’m not impressed with John so far…I was hopeful and voted for him. He’s just more less the same… opposing water opposing airport regional board.
I disagree. Seems like Horn is genuinely trying to better the city. The previous mayor left him a very large mess
10:10 I absolutely agree. After 31 years as a State Senator, I don't think he has the energy for this job. I think this was just a check mark on the list of "accomplishments." Another "do you know who I am?" opportunity.
I'll wager $100.00 Capitol St. has many more burnouts on the pavement come Sunday morning. Just who is going to stop them? The police sat there and watched the whole thing last time.
The primary reason for Horhn wanting to be mayor is “High 4, baby!”.
The other night a few weeks ago wife & I traveled to Jackson for a family function party. While on I55 south bound before we got to Fortification st about two dozen brothers on crotch rockets came thru our traffic headed south. They had to be doing WELL in excess of 100 MPH. And then came the ghetto cruzers following them at close to the same rate of speed. I told wife was no way they gonna make it thru all this traffic - But they did! In an upnote they were Very Good at what they were doing!
Damn! Now where can I go to see a bunch of clown cars (aka Dodge Chargers with performance mufflers) racing down the street? Wait, never mind, I’ll just go to any other street in Jackson.
Great theory, but you fail to understand - John doesn't 'want' and outside auditor looking for possible kickbacks. All one has to do to recognize this is look at that video on JJ from the sales tax meeting and his push to get his out of state buddies an extra million or so dollars.
Have any of the lagging COJ audits been caught up and published?
I still have high hopes for JH and Dr. Chief.
Because you asked I just checked again. Latest Annual Comprhensive Financial Report (ACFR aka 'audit') was for 2023 on April 24, 2026.
04/24/2026 Audited Financial Statements or ACFR: 2023 ACFR - City of Jackson, MS
04/16/2026 Annual Financial Information and Operating Data: 2022 Annual Report - GO and Appendix A for Water & Sewer - City of Jackson, MS
11/03/2025 Budget: 2023 Adopted Budget - Jackson, MS
09/05/2024 Audited Financial Statements or ACFR: 2022 ACFR - City of Jackson, MS
Whether the decline started 30, 40, or 50 years ago it doesn't matter. When you run for office you are expected to know what you're getting into and have an aggressive plan of attack to fulfill your PROMISES. So far, Mr. Mayor and Dr. Chief have been taking too long to get even engaged.
@12:06 PM Horhn had an interview on WLBT's website a few months before the election. In the interview, he was against the water board and the regional airport board (and moving the zoo). You should have done some research before voting him in. And you didn't, so this is what you got.
Wrong, the voters of Jackson left the new mayor a mess. The old mayor was voted into office.
And so will every mayor the citizens of Jackson vote on from now on.
" While on I55 south bound before we got to Fortification st about two dozen brothers on crotch rockets came thru our traffic headed south. I told wife was no way they gonna make it thru all this traffic - But they did! In an upnote they were Very Good at what they were doing!"
Sounds like the original Mad Max film ... (Woodrow Wilson edition).
Chevys on the roam 96 big body sittin on chrome. As we head up out of the zone, stone facin is on. You can admire but don’t look to long. I’m livin a dream with triple beams and my pockets bulgin! Picture me rollin!
Whether or not the Dodge Charger Donut Hoodlums continue with their antics, it's not possible for a mayor to constantly ride herd on that deviant behavior. But, by cancelling this event, at least he is not enabling it.
It's the job of the Dr. Chief to remind the local PD precinct under-chiefs to crack down on this crap instead of continuing to ignore it. People, probably children, are going to get unalived if this continues to ramp-up. Make a note!
If you have confidence in Horn, it's only because you have never been around him when real work is called for.
And this is why Jackson will stay a shithole. I bring to you the wisdom of "Nawfside Lee":
"Dear city of Jackson…….people are getting mudered every other day and I haven’t seen yall react in an aggressive manner yet to keep the citizens safe(this is not towards the (JPD, CPD, or HCSD I know yall trying ya best)but yall worried about some burn out marks in the streets!
Dear City of Jackson…….our streets have been raggedy with the worst potholes in America since I was a child and I’m 40 now and yall have yet to fix them but yall worried about cruisin capital!
Dear City of Jackson……the water was brown for 3 days last week and we’ve been dealing with this terrible water issue for years now but yall worried about cruisin capital!!
Dear City of Jackson………its still stop lights that hasn’t been working for months now but yall just put barricades up with stop signs on them instead of fixing the damn lights! But yall worried about cruising capital
Dear City of Jackson……..I love my city but I’m a tired and fed up tax paying citizen!"
Why do you continue to live in such a place?
I don’t know, according to the local news, living in Jackson is hazardous to one’s health.
Post a Comment