Jackson Mayor John Horhn issued the following statement.
Mayor John Horhn today announced Dr. Marcus A. Chanay as Chief of Staff for the Office of the Mayor. Dr. Chanay began his duties today.
Dr. Chanay brings more than 30 years of executive leadership to City Hall, with a career spanning higher education administration, workforce development and organizational management. He serves as President and CEO of The Chanay Group, a strategic development firm working in workforce development, fundraising, community development and operational improvement, and as President of The College of Health Services and Careers, an allied health institution offering certificate programs in high-demand fields.
His higher education career includes senior posts at three universities: Vice President for Student Affairs, Enrollment Management and Executive Assistant to the President for Campus Operations at Lincoln University of Missouri; Vice President for Student Services at Jarvis Christian University; and Vice President for Student Life at Jackson State University.
"Marcus has spent three decades building teams and getting results in institutions that serve young people and working families" said Mayor John Horhn. "He’s managed large staffs and people pulling in different directions. City Hall is no different, and he’s ready to serve."
"My focus over the next 90 days is making sure the Administration's priorities are clearly communicated and carried out," said Dr. Marcus Chanay. "As Chief of Staff, I'll advance Mayor Horhn’s agenda and strengthen municipal leadership through strategic alignment with the Mayor's vision, relationship building across government, and operational stabilization. That means a clearer tracking system for mayoral directives, collaborative alignment with the Chief Administrative Officer, and building trust across municipal leadership. My philosophy has always been that tomorrow's success is founded on today's preparation."
A native of Pine Bluff, Arkansas, Dr. Chanay holds a Ph.D. in urban higher education and a master's degree in educational administration and supervision from Jackson State University, and a bachelor's degree in mass communications from the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff. He earned the Certified Fundraising Manager credential from the Lilly Family School of Philanthropy at IUPUI and a certificate from the Institute for Educational Management at the Harvard Graduate School of Education.
He has co-published three books, including two volumes examining the future of historically Black colleges and universities, and serves on boards including the Mississippi Alliance for Cardiovascular Health, the National Sigma Beta Club Foundation, Vine Place Community Outreach and the UAPB National Alumni Association. He is a member of True Vine Baptist Church, Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc., and 100 Black Men of Jackson, Inc.
Dr. Chanay and his wife, Makeba White Chanay, have seven children and ten grandchildren.


47 comments:
Two "Dr. Chiefs." Win!
I find it ironic that the very same people
That promote and want “diversity” have none. Example is JPS JPD city of Jackson JSU etc.
Skyhook has already been hollering about
it.
Why did the other one leave?
He serves as President and CEO of The Chanay Group, a strategic development firm working in workforce development, fundraising, community development and operational improvement.
Another one of those, huh?
A career in higher education. Lovely. Just what Jackson needs. I would recommend that he hire a retired US Coast Guard Officer. You know, someone with experience in dealing with sinking ships.
Never worked in city govt.?
As a citizen of Jackson I can say this. If Skyhook is against him then I’m for him!
He appears to be another Harvey Johnson, a lot of supposed experience that yielded nothing in actual practice.
I'm sure he will be a bureaucratic stickler for grants, programs and community development, duplicating Horhn's own perspective, blind to creating a private investment business base for Jackson's economy. Prepare for a storm of Seminar word salads and study group think.
Read all that corporate PR babble. I wonder if this fellow actually knows how to manage something.
“[P]riorities are clearly communicated and carried out," “advance Mayor Horhn’s agenda,” “strengthen municipal leadership,” “strategic alignment,” “relationship building,” “operational stabilization,” “collaborative alignment,” “building trust,” damn! That is a word salad impressively piled higher and deeper than any I’ve ever seen.
Who's on deck?
That a helluva super-elongated word salad to describe another “community organizer”.
Another scam that sucks on grants and has no employees.
Win!
Horhn is enamored with these types.
Exactly.
The beard style makes him look like a Christmas nutcracker.
Never been paid a dollar that wasn’t taxpayer money?
+100,000
How does Chanay feel about his manhood? Pudgy wants to know.
Another "community organizer." Shucks, he too could be president.
As in Obama, aka Nobama, Chicago's community organizer supreme.
I am the Executive Director and Chief Financial Officer of the American Snipe Hunters Association. I have been organizing chapters on college campuses for years. Not the first politician has offered me a high paying do nothing job yet. SMH
It is beyond obvious that his 90 day statement was written by AI. ChatGPT loves to throw in those “stanza of three” word-soup things to make it sound credible.
CoJ - All chiefs, few working Indians.
Yes, very obvious. But the useful idiots in Jackson are easily impressed.
If he's a Harvey Johnson type then that means failure from jump street. John, when is Jackson going to rise? At the rate you're going looks like never!
Pile it high.
The majority of the citizens and leaders will fall for this illusion of an impressive vocabulary with zero substance. Mostly because they were employed on the same premise.
If you wear the bowtie and look the part while saying big words, you are hired.
They genuinely don't even consider if the person has an actual skill set.
Hence, the mess they are in.
I just wish the citizens of Jackson could actually elect a person for the job of Mayor that was willing to do something substantive to make Jackson better. At best, Horhn has only slowed the rapid decline Baby Chok set in motion / fueled during his disastrous administration. Isn't it about time to level the downward curve and start it heading up? Of course, with the appearance this second Dr. Chief hire gives, it doesn't look like that goal will be possible during this first Horhn administration.
Don't people ever get tired of living like this? Or is it just easier to look the other way?
BS (we know what that means), MS (more of the same), then PhD (Piled Higher and Deeper)
And a sea of troubles.
Jackson do need some 'workforce development'.
I was hoping the job would go to that sullen woman who always appears to the Doctor-Chief's left flank.
>chicken dinner!<
I would like to retract my earlier vote for 'chicken dinner winner' and move it here.
Sorry, Cliff: I could have told you that you needed to mow the lawn instead of dreaming on this blog.
Fake schools, fake degrees, fake positions, fake career - a leach on society. I’d be ashamed.
Looks like his office is in his home, sisssssh, Those that can't do teach, those that can't teach get a "govment" job.
@1:35 You could've done with more real school. "Leach." My goodness.
Horhn's bunker mentality hiring decision.
“The Chanay Group” has no online presence, I’m guessing he is the group. “The College of Health Services and Careers” website lists Dr. Chanay’s wife as president and makes no mention of him on their leadership team page. To put it politely, I’m skeptical of his resume, he appears to be all hat, no cattle.
Lives in Byram. Bad look.
3:45pm
Appreciate your online search and insight. Why couldn't Horhn stoop to just a mundane search on this pretender? His resume is as hollow as it sounds. Imagine the reports, propaganda and plagiarism he can find online to fulfill his verbose job description.
Is his daily Lunch budget determined by the weight of paper processed, restacked, by 11am? This is a typical seminar attendee, no real results required.
I feel the paradigm shifting for the City of Jackson, with the appointment of professional government types that use big words when diminutive ones will suffice. I think I cast my vote for the Professional Snipe Hunter consultant above… I’m the head of the Anonymous Bigger Piece of Government Payout Foundation of professional earners and takers. I formerly was President of the Board of Redundancy Board. I should qualify myself….
Post a Comment