Never let it be said Trinidad Chambliss does not invest in the Oxford community. The Ole Miss star quarterback purchased a $1.9 million condominium on the Square in Oxford in March. The Wall Street Journal reported today:
Buying a house used to be a crowning achievement after an athlete turned pro. But a 2021 rule change that let college athletes profit from their fame has sped up that timeline. Player pay has surged, creating a multibillion-dollar market in Name, Image Likeness, or NIL, payments. Starters on major college football teams now earn hundreds of thousands—or even millions—of dollars a year.
Flush with cash, many college football players are jumping into the real-estate market and buying homes in their university towns. In addition to living in these homes, athletes use them to put up family members, host teammates, generate rent and serve as long-term investments.
Some see buying real estate as a way to build generational wealth....
This spring, Ole Miss’s star quarterback Trinidad Chambliss bought a $1.9 million townhouse on the Square, the historic shopping and restaurant hub in Oxford, Miss., records show....
In addition to lifestyle perks, there can be tax benefits to owning a primary home. And the market for real estate in college towns is often strong, especially around flagship universities like Ole Miss, because of the steady pool of people who need housing. Although relaxed rules have made it far more common for athletes to transfer between schools, those buying homes see them as long-term commitments, with many planning to rent out the houses after they leave school.
Chambliss’s house in Oxford is about a 20-minute walk to campus and the Grove: a large, tree-filled area where Rebels fans tailgate. Chambliss doesn’t get to visit it much on game days, but he hopes buying a home in the area will eventually change that. “Hopefully I have a long NFL career, God willing,” said Chambliss, whose college pay will exceed $6 million this year. “And then once I’m done with playing football, I can come to Ole Miss games and use that property and finally go to the Grove.” ...
Although some college athletes have bought luxury cars or other indulgences, many are using their newfound wealth to make careful investments.
“One of the questions I get asked a lot is, ‘I bet these guys are reckless with their money,’” said Walker Jones, executive director of the Grove Collective, the University of Mississippi–affiliated group that helps raise money for athlete pay. “To be honest with you, they’re really not. These student-athletes in a really short amount of time have learned how to budget and how to be careful with their money and to spend it in ways that are creating additional wealth and value for them.” ... Rest of article.

26 comments:
whoop de do
ROFLMAO ... Yup, students drop that kind of green on housing all the time. Where's the news?
barely a piss in a bucket compared to tech bros and crypto chads.
He probably is a straight A student. Right?
Bullpuppies chiming in, in 3... 2... 1...
I miss the days when college football was an amateur sport.
The only one who can afford this are NIL athletes and Heirs of Grandmothers.
The comments represent what is wrong with America today. A large % of folks are spoiled whiners.
I bet no one commenting on this owns their home.
It' cool tha the Wall Street Journal recognizes Ole MIss as the "flagship" university in Mississippi.
The plan depends on the condo continuing to appreciate, and the carrying costs on it are significant. Timing is everything.
But Lane Kiffen is a mercenary piece of crap whose loyalty can be bought and sold like a piece of meat at the supermarket. LSU shows it is not an "academic institution" anyway. Here in the Magnolia State we have principles beyond the almighty dollar.
That would definitely be a concern if the condo were in Starkville.
I miss the days when cruise ships were not floating slums.
I miss the days when "flying commercial" (from the moment one inters the airport parking lot) was not a foretaste of being loaded into a boxcar headed for an extermination camp.
I miss the days when a woman could drive coast-to-coast, alone, and stay at Motel 6, without a care in the world (and sleep better than at Ritz Carltons, because Motel6 had turned noise cancellation into an artform, while the Ritz hadn't). Today, even the pricey chains have "non-smoking" rooms which smell like crackhouses, and one soccer mom slamming a door, at the other end of one's floor, can awaken everyone on her floor, plus occupants on floors above and below her stupid self. That's how flimsy buildings are, now, and how scummy the occupants are (even soccer moms).
I miss the days when the various private rentals were quiet, exclusive alternatives to hotel stays, instead of "Let's play like we're rich" opportunities for scary families.
And I miss the days when plopping-down seven figures, for a place where one's kids could pursue their college objectives, without being menaced/raped/sleep-deprived by "friends and family" of other students occupying nearby homes.
The Pandemic showed us, clearly, who The Wall Street Journal's masters are. It's always been a disinformation rag, for deluding the rubes. It's merely been captured by worse sorts. And, again, with this blatant promo, we see who the WSJ's masters intend to destroy.
Good for Trinidad. I challenge any of you to find something negative about the guy so far. When you do, please bring it forward. I'll hang up and listen.
I bet he doesn't mind if someone next year uses his number.
He is an ineligible player.
"Here in the Magnolia State we have principles beyond the almighty dollar."
We need to elect some of these people to serve in the MS House other than the ones currently there.
@12:41 - you lose the bet, ole miserable
The NCAA heard all the evidence on ruled him ineligible, but a homer Shark Judge and ENT doctor overturned it.
Just additional confirmation that college football is on a fast downward spiral.
2:57, Actually the NCAA refused to consider the evidence, based on a twisted interpretation of “contemporaneously.”
5:43 - yep, D-1 says contemporaneously means file appeal for the injury after the current season; D-2 says appeal after the player's senior season
Hey Kingfish, you are correct. Trinidad will not care. His number being used will not bother him. He loves Ole Miss, and so do his parents. I don't know if they will move here full-time, but even still, it is doubtful this property will depreciate in value. I sure wish I had bought property there during my years in the late 70s. Of course, nothing is guaranteed.
How much more can the NCAA screw up college sports?
“Investment” lmao
Wait till the Trumpcession hits
Post a Comment