or the eyesore will be an eyesore no more.
Pracon Global Investment issued the following statement.
PraCon Global Investment Group today announced the unanimous approval of the rezoning required to move forward with Prado Conservatory, the planned transformation of the long-dilapidated former Fortification Street YMCA property at 800 E. River Place into a private live-work-play residential destination on Jackson’s future riverfront that will include Mississippi’s first padel courts. The Jackson City Council unanimously approved rezoning the approximately nine-acre property from light industrial to CMU- 1 Community Mixed-Use, clearing the way for PraCon to preserve and repurpose the YMCA structure, vacant and deteriorating since 2017, and return the site to productive use with new housing, recreation and private investment. “We are deeply grateful to Mayor Horhn and the members of the Jackson City Council for their unanimous approval of the rezoning for Prado Conservatory. Their vote gives us the opportunity to save a property that has been dilapidated for years and transform it into something meaningful for Jackson. Our commitment to this city is long-term, and we believe Prado Conservatory can become a signature example of what is possible when vision, persistence and private investment come together.” — Gabriel Prado, President & CEO, PraCon Global Investment Group. Prado Conservatory is planned in two residential phases.
Phase I will repurpose the existing YMCA building for
approximately 60 multifamily units. Phase II is planned to add approximately 100 units in a new five-story mid-rise building,
bringing the project to approximately 160 residences while preserving the original structure as the centerpiece of the
redevelopment.


50 comments:
Clinton has a ymca pool. It has a hard time staying open so maybe Clinton will upgrade their city and demolish it. The problems that cause it to close: no lifeguards, pump broken, poop in the pool, etc. It’s the environment. You gotta want more to have more. Do something. What do you think will go in its place? How well will the people respect it? You reap what you sow.
Prado is supposed developing luxury lofts at the site of the old McRae's on Meadowbrook but nothing appears to be happening there. Meanwhile, that building on State in Fondren on the site of the former dry cleaners went up almost overnight. What's Prado doing?
Is this low income housing?
The Fondren project is a small building on a small site. The McRae project is much larger site with much larger infrastructure needs. Buildings typically go up very quickly once the infrastructure is complete.
He waiting on that assistance that only the guvment provides to study and assist in greasing the slides of progress in a properly run administration.
As a business person myself, I would say that he’s doing what’s in his business’ best interest. What he’s not doing is what the peanut gallery thinks he should be doing.
He’s doing more than you. That’s a fact.
I learned to swim at that Y.
Anybody that wants to invest in Jackson is good in my books. I understand people complaining about the government investing money, but why with private enterprise?
Beef plant? Timber company? Anyone? Bueler? Bueler?
I wouldn't say nothing is happening on Meadowbrook, I'm seeing progress. It's a much bigger build than the new construction where Kolb's used to be in Fondren. But point taken, it's highly likely that Prado is over-extending himself. I'm still really curious where his funding comes from.
I'm sure Skyhook will have something to say.
We can argue pros and cons all day long about Prado's other projects but I see no argument for this one unless it involves bucket fulls of taxpayer money.
What about the flood probability on that site?
Tent City will be excited to have new neighbors!
Prado's Group has lots of cash on hand for match-money (ahem, private investement) related to securing millions in state/federal government money through non-profit grants/funding. This is how guys like him get rich.....a whole episode on The Sopranos explained it via a Housing URBAND Development scam....
You mean AGAINST this one? I mean, he can buy up all of Jackson if that will incentivize non-ferals to return.
His funding comes, mostly, from loans. If you knew where to look, you would no longer be curious.
I remember seeing a pleasant looking rendering of the "Old Capitol Green" project on Commerce Street once upon a time.
That building is gonna need a lot of work. Jackson's finest crack heads have destroyed it
Prado is saving Jackson.
Can you say Section 8? I know that you can.
Not to worry as One Lake will prevent any flooding.
What is a "Padel Court"?
First the dozens of squatters need to be kicked out. Then all of the human waste...
Isn't that a high crime area? In any event neither my wife nor I would live there.
@10:26 A court on which to play padel. Try sounding it out next time.
He’s buying up and holding out for the incoming hipster invasion.
Saving Jackson while introducing a new sport.
It’s sad the walking trail that loops around the perimeter of East River Pl and Old River has been neglected for years because people fear what could be hiding in the bushes. I was a member at the East River Y and enjoyed evening jogs and riding my mountain bike on the levee. The trail and levee were both full of runners and walkers. It was the perfect setup. Got my first cell phone at MCTA on East River Pl. Such a nice area and safe in the early to mid 90’s.
Don't even get me started. The levee was a great place to go running or walking. Did it for a long time. Great place to take dogs. However, everyone worked together to take it away. The idiots at Flowood found out the levee was in city limits SO it put up no parking signs so no one could park there. Then those extended stay rooms or whatever they are started taking gummint money. Suddenly car burglaries went up. Couldn't leave your car out there while you ran because the thugs would smash and grab. Of course, the businesses on that road all put up no parking signs on those gravel lots.
The Fondren-Belhaven Real Estate-Economy driver is the 3-Hospital community. Upscale residential projects with on-site parking have done well close in, but not that East side of 55 near the river. BTW, mostly Hinds but also Rankin and Madison have lost population. Possibly well educated college grads are going to TN, TX and FL. What rental profile does Prado expect to lease to at the old Y and Meadowbrook McRae's? Could Prado have more success with selling cemetery plots in this dying town of failure and corruption?
I've been around development long enough to know that when something seems off, it usually is. Something's off with Prado. All of these moonshot deals. He's either got $50 million in cash that he (or someone else) is absolutely fine losing all of or he's just one small step ahead of the bank where if anything goes bad, he's busted. But essentially coming out of nowhere with all of these high-splash, high-dollar, complicated development deals is historically a recipe for going bust.
Padel is the Next New Thing, for people who have tired of pickleball: https://www.ltapadel.org.uk/play/padel-vs-pickleball/
9:42 very interesting... and who comprises this "Group?"
8:57 He has spoken. What has Skyhook
done for Jackson?
Agree 1:15pm. Maybe selling pieces of new pyramids to pay off a dynasty of previous investors in earlier pyramids. The elevation photo of The YMCA (used at top of article) would look good in a Cross-Collateral portfolio, but in the drone shot, it looks like a dump.
1:48pm
Padel invented 1969, (Alcapulco?) Mexico. I used to practice tennis at ASU "paddle courts "outside, very sweaty, no breeze due to walls.
Please explain... I don't know where to look...
Beef Plant? Timber Company?? What does that mean..?
Gosh.. I remember going to that Y back in the early 90's.. .It was so nice then. You could run on the inside track above the basketball courts then go have a steam and sauna !
Padro is trying to destroy our culture by introducing Padel from meh i co!
I agree.. something is missing in this equation...
It will be interesting to see how this all turns out...
I used to bang chicks on that levee every night during the summer of 1995
It will be interesting to see how this all goes... I have wondered where all of this money comes from. Also... the McRaes condos may be nice, but hey will likely be high rent. Who the hell would pay thousands a month to live in that area?? Make It make sense...
dat you Clay Edwards..?
1:15 saying what we are all thinking.
He’s a young guy. Hasn’t lived thru a downturn. A few things work out and you think you’re invincible. Leads to making bad decisions like this one. Up until now, most of his projects made sense.
Beef and timber - pet projects that your elected officials approved and allowed your tax dollars to fund. I never looked into the timber company but I have lots of experience in the beef plant. As the legislature argued to pass that funding, we (our investment department) laughed and took bets on how long it would last after they passed the bill and built the plant. The failure of that project was so apparent, it showed me how crooked or stupid the elected officials were. And that was many, many years ago. These leaders are worse today than they were 20 years ago. I cannot tell a difference between democrat or republican in this state. They look, smell and act the same.
"I've been around development long enough to know that when something seems off, it usually is. Something's off with Prado. All of these moonshot deals. He's either got $50 million in cash that he (or someone else) is absolutely fine losing..."
EB-5 deals? I don't know, just tossing it out there. It would account for small-ish piles on these kinds of projects that the "investors" do not care about losing (they got what they are really buying) being used directly or leveraged to make money for the packager/developer. Those aren't my thing but they certainly are a real thing.
Post a Comment