The Jackson Zoo rolled out a new master plan that proposes a major facelift for the Jackson attraction. An African village, new exhibits, and a restaurant are in store for Jacksonians if the plan becomes a reality. The plan is posted below. The estimated cost is $95.9 million. Some highlights of the plan are:
*The anticipated yearly attendance for the new Jackson Zoo is 250-300,000 visitors, when totally built out as shown on the master plan.
*New exhibits will be created. The new exhibits include a discovery zone for animal-human interaction, expansion of the Africa exhibits, adventure zone where children can play, and larger area for group events.
*Gift and concessions are improved. A restaurant that can seat up to 150 people indoors and outdoors will be built. The plan also calls for the creation of a cafe.
*Tropical rainforest building, South American exhibits and a new orangutan/gibbon exhibit.
The plan has several phases.
* Creating an entry complex that will house an improved gift shop, visitor services, and restrooms.
* A restaurant
* Mississippi Plaza for educational activities and exhibits
* Africa Village that includes an improved lion and giraffe exhibit.
* Estimated cost is $31 million
* Improved entry and parking
* exhibits for orangutan, gibbon, leopard, and waterfowl
* Estimated cost is $22 million
*Adventure zone for kids
* Phase 2 of Africa Village
* Estimated cost: $19.8 million
* Tropical Americas
* Rainforest building
* Africa forest exhibits
* Asian tapir, fishing cat
* Estimated cost is $23.1 million
Total estimated cost: $95.9 million.