The Baton Rouge Area Chamber of Commerce estimated that the value of homes flooded last week was over $20 billion. BRAC issued a report last week that provides a preliminary analysis of the damage caused by the catastrophe that took place last week. Some highlights of the two-page report are:
There is more information in the report. Keep in mind these are preliminary estimates. FEMA and insurance companies will provide their own estimates on the reports.
• 31% of homes within the nine parishes are located in areas identified as receiving flooding.
• More than 110,000 homes are located in flood areas.
• As a whole, the estimated total value of those homes located in areas identified as flooded is
• 280,910 Baton Rouge MSA residents live in areas identified as receiving flooding.
• 66% of the homes in flood areas were owner-occupied, 22% were renters; 9% were vacant.
• As a region, a maximum of 15% of all homes – not solely in the flood-impact areas – were insured