The City of Jackson will open Capitol Street and parts of four other downtown streets to two-way traffic on Saturday, April 18th. Construction crews will be installing the new traffic striping and signage this week. Multiple message boards have been posted downtown informing motorists of this change.
The streets that will change from one-way to two-way are the following:
- Capitol St from Gallatin St to State St
- Roach St from Pearl St to Capitol St
- Lamar St from Pearl St to Capitol St
- West St from Pearl St to Amite St
- Congress St from Pearl St to Amite St
Motorists and pedestrians will need to be cautious as traffic patterns change.
- Pay close attention to all one way and two way signage.
- Drive cautiously on all streets.
- Yield to motorists already in the roundabout.
- Yield to pedestrians in all signalized and roundabout crosswalks.
- Do not stop in traffic or in a roundabout to load or unload passengers.
- Adhere to all bicycle specific signage. Cyclists can use the full travel lane where posted and not just the right side of the travel lane.
- Cross streets only at marked crosswalks.
- Look both ways before crossing all streets, especially those that are changing from one-way to two-way.
Although these streets will be open to two-way traffic, there is still some minor work remaining. Motorists should drive cautiously around construction crews.