Note: Originally published on July 30, 2015.
Elections are almost upon us. While there are many new faces asking for our votes, there problem of deciding whether to vote in the Democratic or Republican primaries is quite old. JJ recommends that if one lives in Hinds County, he or she should vote in the Democratic primary next week.
Voters in Madison and Rankin Counties do not face the same dilemma as those in Hinds County. The counties are dominated by Republicans (except for the northern part of Madison County). Sheriff, Supervisor, Representative, Treasurer, Governor and the rest of them- the races are in the Republican primaries with token opposition on the other side. Thus they can go to sleep election night knowingi they were good little voters of the Republican party.
However, Hinds County voters must decide every four years which means more to them- state or local races as the real action is usually in the primaries. This problem is especially acute for Republican voters as the local races affect them more in a personal way but they want to be good Republicans and vote for their candidates for Governor.
Make no mistake, there are many Republican votes ins Hinds County:
August 2, 2011 GOP primary: Nearly 15,000 votes
2012 Presidential election: 27,595 votes
2012 Republican Presidential primary: 14,807 votes
The Democrat votes in 2011 were more telling:
August 2, 2011 Democratic Primary: 30,000-37,000 votes, depending on the election.
2012 Democrat Primary: 23,369 votes
2012 Presidential election: 73,100
Thus there are much more Democrat votes in Hinds County than Republican votes BUT Republican voters can make a difference - in a Democrat primary.
Republican voters face a choice on Tuesday: Should they vote in Democrat or Republican primary?
In other words, do they care more about who manages the MPACT program or do they care more about locking up the guy who breaks into their homes and carjacks their neighbors?
There are several races that affect people in Hinds County directly: Supervisor, Sheriff, and District Attorney. Voters in Belhaven, Fondren, and Clinton 1, and Pinehaven (Clinton) have been served by Darrell McQuirter. The county has been moving in the right direction since he got on the Board of Supervisors. The sweetheart deals were ended. The Byram-Clinton-Bolton corridor project was restarted. Part of the cuts to the Sheriff's budget made by Stokes and Graham were restored. Money was saved in several areas.
The next board will probably be building a new jail and will probably build it downtown. Ask yourself who you trust to build that jail: the current board or the old bunch who screwed up the current jail with their sweetheart deals and payoffs to friends? Who do you think will try to steal the county blind by letting their friends gouge the county for fees if bonds are sold to finance the construction of a new jail - the old bunch or the current board. If you like the fact that the corruption was stopped and the county is moving in the right direction, then you need to vote in the Democrat primary if you live in District 2 and that means voting for Darrell McQuirter. The Stokes-Graham-Stallworth crowd won't like it but they don't think you should have a right to vote anyway and have done everything possible to smear him. If you want to keep your county, then swallow the party pride and stand up for your county and against corruption and incompetence.
Then there is the District Attorney's race. This is the key race when it comes to crime. Crime has plagued Jackson for over twenty years. While certain publishers shriek there is no crime problem, blacks and whites are fleeing Hinds County as they have said enough is enough.
The District Attorney is the number-one crime fighter in Hinds County and Jackson. The Sheriff and JPD can pick up the criminals but it is the District Attorney who must put them away and keep them off the streets. It is the opinion of this website that the District Attorney has failed Jackson and the rest of Hinds County. Leaders lead and failures blame. The current District Attorney has become real good at blaming others. Even more pitiful is the fact that law enforcement hopes every time there is an arrest that there is a connection between the suspect and the 20th district so Michael Guest can revoke his bond.
If you are happy with the level of crime in Jackson, then vote either in the Republican primary or the Democratic primary for the incumbent. I refuse to believe that there is nothing that can be done about the crime in Jackson and neither should you. It is time for voters in Jackson to quit wringing their hands about crime while making bashing Jackson on Facebook and actually do something about it. That means swallowing your damn party pride and voting in the Democratic primary on August 4. That also means voting for Stanley Alexander for District Attorney. We can fix the crime problem but only if we say enough is enough and go to the polls.
So which means more to you: Doing something about the crime and corruption in your city and county or casting meaningless votes for Governor and Commissioner of Agriculture? Do you want the Bennie and David Archie crowd making crime worse or have you had enough and want to fight back? The African-Americans who stand up to them are smeared and called Uncle Toms. Surely if they can up to that crowd, you can stand with them as well.
The election results don't lie and there are more than enough Republican votes in Hinds County to make a difference in key races next week. If you stay home or vote in the GOP primary, don't complain about the crime in Jackson and damn sure don't complain about them because when it was time to be counted, you sat down.
Monday, August 3, 2015
Note: Originally published on July 30, 2015.
John R. Rose
Byrd Newspapers of Virginia
Mar 18, 2017
Mar 17, 2017
North America Syndicate
Mar 16, 2017
Mar 16, 2017
WJTV News 12
The Rez News
The Market Ticker
And The Valley Shook
Ms. Business Journal
Ace of Spades
Most popular posts last week.
- The pageant queen arrest and the Rest of the story.
- Stonebridge Public Improvement District (PID) in Brandon defaulted on bonds
- Partying with The Chief
- It's Auburn.
- Rudy sues CMU for $6.3 million.
- Hambrick killer tries to blame victim.
- Carlos Moore & McDonald's mother change story.
- Look at me, Look at me!!! Um, they did.
- Death investigation in Brandon
- The Gutter Punks
- ► 2016 (1504)
- Danks sets bond at one million dollars for gratifi...
- Rankin woman defends herself against domestic viol...
- Bye-bye Best Buy
- Showing you the money in Jackson
- Jackson City Council responds to Mayor with its ow...
- Savage of the Day
- Trump slams Hillary, Luntz can't comprehend any of...
- Shylock v. The Cherokee?
- Freelons sued for copyright violations
- Madison PD arrest suspect in gratification of lust...
- Tony Davis asks Sheriff's lawyer for mercy
- As the Mud Slings.....
- Walker running for Judge
- Another woman sues DPS for discrimination and reta...
- What's a few million dollars between friends?
- The camera can work both ways
- The Apple fanboys might cry
- Rankin police create "safe lots" for internet tran...
- Bloom County
- Inside the mind of a maniac
- Stokes opposes investigation (Video)
- Hate it when this happens.
- Regaining one's past
- SOS and Jackson work to sell tax-forfeited propert...
- Killer sued prior station for racism.
- SANDERS SPEAKS!!!
- Two reporters murdered while covering story
- Court to Tony Davis and Sheila Lewis: Shut up and ...
- Election night thread. Anita, Spivey, Darrel win....
- Get out and vote for Darrel McQuirter today
- David Archie people going to David Archie
- Jackson restaurants charge waitresses wanting bett...
- Nothing to see here, move along.
- Nobody & AG go at it
- Getting desperate?
- Think twice before directly reimbursing employee f...
- Twelve applications for tourism sales tax rebates
- Bloom County
- JPD Chief Jimmy Wilson tried to stop Melton
- You knew it was coming. (Updated)
- JPD arrests pimps & ho's
- Renaissance applied for sales tax rebates
- No comment: Pro Se edition.
- Benjamin pleads not guilty to bribery charges.
- Waggoner pleads guilty in Chris Epps scandal.
- Nobody tries to stop mailer investigation
- Irb Benjamin and Sam Waggoner indicted in Chris Ep...
- Costco chaos
- At her worst, she is still better......
- Suspect in Spillway chase arrested.
- Jackson man beaten to death at softball field with...
- Local hospitals combine laundry cleaning services....
- Former Cochran aide admits he is a drug-dealing Pa...
- Stokes sticks it to DA Man.
- We need David Archie....... at the WWF, Nitro, or...
- Governor hits newspaper editor from behind
- Jessica Chambers update: Family expects an arrest ...
- Mayor Yarber to council: We looked at tax increase...
- $15 an hour meets basic math.
- Ashby to council: Collect the money instead of rai...
- St. Paddy's Day Parade, 1984
- Kyle Brown fund-raiser tonight in Rankin County
- Reeves Barbour rejects deal, will stand & fight ch...
- Gene knew BUT he was doing it for you.
- Update on injured Clinton police officer
- Auditor returns money to Warren County
- Moody's downgrades Mississippi Power debt.
- We report, you decide: Sorority Swimsuit edition
- Taxing the Cloud
- Water conservation notice lifted.
- "Badazz" "Bekillenem" burns up in carjacked car. ...
- Remembering the past: Over 200 people die in Natch...
- Too funny.
- NE Jackson developer sued for fraud and negligence...
- It happens.
- No comment.
- There she blows.
- PSC Candidate Brent Bailey speaks out on rate hike...
- Clinton PD busts gang
- Ridgeland tax hike on the drawing board.
- Professional courtesy?
- Getting closer
- Madison PD bust counterfeit ring
- Anna Stephens buys another house
- Mayor Gene & Ridgeland residents spar over Costco ...
- Suffer the little children.......
- Oh really?
- Dear Kevin Upchurch.....
- Julia Hodges endorses Michael Pantin for Madison C...
- Update on Anglin's convenience store.
- Sheriff Lewis seeks injuction and defamation damag...
- 235 families approved for education scholarships f...
- It's Stokes.
- Jackson crime stats
- Costco conspiracy in Ridgeland?
- Woman alleges Penn's withdrew job offer because sh...
- Code of Silence for Reverend Stallworth?
- The Hinds County election results.
- ▼ August (139)
- ► 2014 (1315)
- ► 2013 (1080)
- ► 2012 (1088)
- ► 2011 (1049)
- ► 2010 (942)
- ► 2009 (975)
- ► 2008 (931)
- ► 2007 (398)
The Kingfish's Favorite Posts
- Presenting the Mississippi State Capitol (Video)
- Editorial: The airport belongs to Jackson. Period.
- Kelly arrested for taking pics of Rose Cochran
- The Real Face of Mississippi Government
- PERS gets mo' money but funding level falls
- Majority black public school districts spend more, waste more, fail more
- Jackson's water bond failure: The REST of the story.
- Time to return fire on Banks
- Supervisor votes on projects next to land he owns
- Throwdown at the Levee Board
- Door shuts on another life
- Truth begins to come out in Irby case
- Judge orders interview of Irby
- Steadivest: Snakes or snake-bitten?
- Post-election thoughts
- Rest of the story about Crisler's shooting
- Jackson paying $4 million in fees
- Will Jackson end up like Birmingham
- Record-breaking fraud?
- FBI contacted MVT about Evans
- Heather Spencer police reports
- An open letter to John McCain
- Are your 401k's safe from Democrats?
- Democrats' Plans for Controlling the Media
- Who is Teresa Ghilarducci?
- Kingfish wins at Ethics Commission
- Tribe of Obama
- Berry V. Aetna (rankin County Cesspool)
- Incest in Dixie: Mississippi Legal Profession
- Jim Hood: Liar
- JFP Tax Problems? (See comments)
- The SafeCity Bill
- Isn't this called secession?
- A Black Governor in Mississippi?
- Time to grade Miles' exam
- Domestic Violence & Divorce in Mississippi
- Truthwatch, eh?
- What is Jackson Jambalaya?
- Election Night Thoughts
- Counter-Insurgency for Beginners
- Jazz for Beginngers
- Mayor Melton's Soljah
- A Leopard Can't Change His Spots, Can Jere Nash?
- Harborwalk Hoax?
- A Pox on All Your Houses
Local Media & Blogs
- Clarion Ledger (Jackson, MS Gannett Newspaper)
- Mississippi Magazine
- The Rez News
- West Jackson Facebook page
- Y'all Politics
- Downtown Jackson Partners
- Mississippi Litigation Review
- Jackson Free Press (Jackson, MS Alternative Weekly)
- The Magnolia Report
- Majority in Mississippi
- The Northside Sun
- Mississippi Magazine
- The Mississippi Link
- Tom Head's Civil Liberties Website
- Blog on Mississippi Sovereignty Commission
- Harborwalk Thread (Jackson's Latest Boondoggle)
Wrestling returns, except this time it will be a Battle Royal with Othor Cain, Ben Allen, Kim Wade, Haley Fisackerly, Alan Lange, and “Big Cat” Donna Ladd all in the ring at the same time. The Battle Royal will be in a steel cage, no time limit, no referee, and the losers must leave town. Marshand Crisler will be the honorary referee (as it gives him a title without actually having to do anything).
Meet KIM Waaaaaade at the Entergy Tent. For five pesos, Kim will sell you a chance to win a deed to a crack house on Ridgeway Street stuffed in the Howard Industries pinata. Don't worry if the pinata is beaten to shreds, as Mr. Wade has Jose, Emmanuel, and Carlos, all illegal immigrants, available as replacements for the it. Upon leaving the Entergy tent, fig leaves will be available in case Entergy literally takes everything you have as part of its Trollfest ticket price adjustment charge.
Donna Ladd of The Jackson Free Press will give several classes on learning how to write. Smearing, writing without factchecking, and reporting only one side of a story will be covered. A donation to pay their taxes will be accepted and she will be signing copies of their former federal tax liens. Ms. Ladd will give a dramatic reading of her two award-winning essays (They received The Jackson Free Press "Best Of" awards.) "Why everything is always about me" and "Why I cover murders better than anyone else in Jackson".
In the spirit of helping those who are less fortunate, Trollfest '09 adopts a cause for which a portion of the proceeds and donations will be donated: Keeping Frank Melton in his home. The “Keep Frank Melton From Being Homeless” booth will sell chances for five dollars to pin the tail on the jackass. John Reeves has graciously volunteered to be the jackass for this honorable excursion into saving Frank's ass. What's an ass between two friends after all? If Mr. Reeves is unable to um, perform, Speaker Billy McCoy has also volunteered as when the word “jackass” was mentioned he immediately ran as fast as he could to sign up.
In order to help clean up the legal profession, Adam Kilgore of the Mississippi Bar will be giving away free, round-trip plane tickets to the North Pole where they keep their bar complaint forms (which are NOT available online). If you don't want to go to the North Pole, you can enjoy Brant Brantley's (of the Mississippi Commission on Judicial Performance) free guided tours of the quicksand field over by High Street where all complaints against judges disappear. If for some reason you are unable to control yourself, never fear; Judge Houston Patton will operate his jail where no lawyers are needed or allowed as you just sit there for minutes... hours.... months...years until he decides he is tired of you sitting in his jail. Do not think Judge Patton is a bad judge however as he plans to serve free Mad Dog 20/20 to all inmates.
Trollfest '09 is a pet-friendly event as well. Feel free to bring your dog with you and do not worry if your pet gets hungry, as employees of the Jackson Zoo will be on hand to provide some of their animals as food when it gets to be feeding time for your little loved one.
Relax at the Fox News Tent. Since there are only three blonde reporters in Jackson (being blonde is a requirement for working at Fox News), Megan and Kathryn from WAPT and Wendy from WLBT will be on loan to Fox. To gain admittance to the VIP section, bring either your Republican Party ID card or a Rebel Flag. Bringing both and a torn-up Obama yard sign will entitle you to free drinks served by Megan, Wendy, and Kathryn. Get your tickets now. Since this is an event for trolls, no ID is required. Just bring the hate. Bring the family, Trollfest '09 is for EVERYONE!!!
This is definitely a Beaver production.
Note: Security provided by INS.
There will be a hugging booth where in exchange for your young son, Frank Melton will give you a loooong hug. Trollfest will have a dunking booth where Muhammed the terrorist will curse you to Allah as you try to hit a target that will drop him into a vat of pig grease. However, in the true spirit of Separate But Equal, Don Imus and someone from NE Jackson will also sit in the dunking booth for an equal amount of time. Tom Head will give a reading for two hours on why he can't figure out who the hell he is. Cliff Cargill will give lessons with his .80 caliber desert eagle, using Frank Melton photos as targets. Tackleberry will be on hand for an autograph session. KIM Waaaaaade will be passing out free titles and deeds to crackhouses formerly owned by The Wood Street Players.
If you get tired come relax at the Fox News Tent. To gain admittance to the VIP section, bring either your Republican Party ID card or a Rebel Flag. Bringing both will entitle you to free drinks.Get your tickets now. Since this is an event for trolls, no ID is required, just bring the hate. Bring the family, Trollfest '07 is for EVERYONE!!!
This is definitely a Beaver production.
Note: Security provided by INS.