Readers might want to be careful when filling up their gas tanks at the Flowood Walmart after these little red stickers appeared on the Murphy USA gas pumps this week.
The Mississippi Department of Agriculture and Commerce found a wee bit of mislabeling taking place at the pump. Let's just say the customer was not getting five gallons of gas when he paid for five gallons of gas. JJ obtained the inspection reports through a public records request and posted them below.





36 comments:
Wow. I can understand one pump being a little off, but ALL the pumps?
I’m not sure that this is not happening at most every gas station. Usually when I start pumping gas initially, I don’t feel any, or see any gas coming out of the nozzle until about .5 gallons shows on the meter.
The pumps allegedlky delivered less gas than the victim was charged for?
HOW CONVENIENT!
Kingfish this is the reporting we all need. Now, why was this a follow up? Have they been previously warned and didn't correct the fraud?
Probably not the only one
Just another way we are getting screwed at the pumps! First its the oil companies and now its the retailer vendors.
Thank you for posting this KF!! Another reason to not do business with Wal-Mart.
Can someone explain the "Actual", "Err", and "Tol" columns and values? And WTF is there still a dUe tO cOvid statement on their forms?
Governors race starting to heat up….
I was there Monday night and those red tags were not there. There were small strips of black electrical tape over some of the grade buttons at each pump. Seems like those red tags should have remained in place.
What were the violations that require recalibration? Charging more per gallon of fuel than displayed? Pumping fewer gallons of fuel than displayed? Pumping a different grade of fuel than displayed?
I feel like it is not as common as people think. I live in Rankin County and feel like I see the guy who is checking pumps fairly frequently with the silver tanks on the back. Unless he just lives around me and is filling his work truck up.
And what is on "the other side of the tag?"
I bet if you buy a pound of anything inside Walmart it’s not really a full pound.
I got gas there last week. I didn't pay attention really to the meter
I took pictures Tuesday afternoon. Reader sent the tip in early Tuesday morning and a pic of the red stickers.
My educated guess is that the accuracy of the pump is not the issue. It was the octane rating of what was getting dispensed.
Higher octane fuel is not more “premium” it simply has a slower or retarded detonation. Why? Because higher compression engines used to suffer from pre-detination with lower octane fuels. These days, modern fuel injected engines have sensors that will compensate for pre-detination by adjusting the timing quickly. Something a distributer cap could never do for a carbeurated engine.
So what is my point?
Nobody with a modern car would know the difference in octane if all of the underground tanks were filled with the same low-octane fuels.
I saw a post on X of people somewhere else taking empty gallon milk cartons to the pumps to test to see if they were getting an actual gallon of gasoline, and they had a similar experience. It might be more widespread than expected.
adding this in case you feel the need to censor me due to your own ignorance…
An octane rating, or octane number, is a standard measure of a fuel's ability to withstand compression in an internal combustion engine without causing engine knocking. The higher the octane number, the more compression the fuel can withstand before auto-igniting. The term refers to the equivalent ratio of a blend of iso-octane and heptane that produces the same knocking characteristics. Octane rating does not relate directly to the power output or the energy content of the fuel per unit mass or volume, but simply indicates the resistance to auto-ignition under pressure without a spark.
one commenter said avoid Walmart. these pumps are near the Walmart but this is a Murphy station.
have they checked the Murphy on County Line Road? If not, why not? they should check every Murphy station in the state!!
As I understand it, The tester pumps 5 gallons as per the pump (1155 cubic inches) of gas. The allowable tolerance for older pumps is + - 6 cubic inches.
For new or remodeled pumps the tolerance is + - 3 cubic inches. These pumps were coming in a - 4 to -7 cubic inches of what was supposed to be 1155 cubic inches. What I want to know is where are the pumps that are dispensing + 6 cubic inches>
Thanks for posting this, Kingfish. I've never seen the red tags on pumps before.
Walmart doesn’t own or operate the Murphy gas stations.
To further clarify my earlier post, a -6 cubic inch shortage is 3.32 fluid ounces across the entire 5 gallons.
This breaks down to a shortage of 0.66 fluid ounces per gallon
I fill up my tank there every week! This makes me ill. Will there be a remedy for those of us who were cheated?
at 10:59 here you go! Err = Error (the measured deviation of the device)
Tol = Tolerance (the maximum allowable error)
I smell a class action lawsuit against Murphy in the near future.
Everyone should buy Top Tier gasoline, as it has more detergent added. Look for the Top Tier stickers on the pumps. You can go to the Top Tier website for the brands that meet the specifications. Also use Gas Buddy or similar site to find the best prices. Some brands also have rewards programs that give discounts based on the volume you buy. If you use much gas, then the rewards program is worth it.
Andy Gipson is in charge of insuring that gas pumps are accurate.
0.52% short by volume based on prior posters numbers. So….yawn! if so you pearl clutchers.
He should censor you for feigning actual intelligence.
So at 128 fluid ounces in a gallon, if a gallon of gas is $3.99, being shorted 0.66 fluid ounces per gallon, means a person is losing $0.02 per gallon. When I filled up with 20 gallons, I lost $0.40. It certainly needs to be corrected, but no one needs to act like their life was changed by being cheated out of $0.40.
This is nothing more than an older pump that is slightly out of tolerance. Some of you can stop hyperventilating.
I have unscientifically noticed my gas lasts longer if I buy higher octane for my 10 year old 4 cylinder turbo Mazda that only requires low octane grade. My BMW requires premium and I occasionally treat it to non-ethynol. Is non-ethynol better for all gas engines?
Murphy is Canadian isn't it ? Anyway, getting screwed is becoming easier for folks it seems.
1:02 Yes, Andy Gip is personally responsible for driving around and “insuring” each and every gas pump in MS. He hand places each of those little stickers you see. Like Santa Clause visiting every house!
What do you think a Turbo Charger does?
Post a Comment