Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Robert St. John: 7 Helicopters, 935 Greek Salads, and 24 Friends

Last week I chartered seven helicopters in Greece. I’m still not completely sure how my life got to a place where I can write that sentence, but there it is.

I was hosting 24 guests on our first Yonderlust trip through Greece, and I was determined to get them to Meteora. I had been there in 2011 and never forgot it. Ancient monasteries sit on top of massive stone pillars rising almost straight out of the ground. Photographs don’t come close.

When we started planning the trip, Jesse, my Yonderlust Travel boots-on-the-ground guy in Europe, pushed back. “We can’t do it.” Meteora was too far from Athens. By bus, we would burn nine or 10 hours getting there and back. I kept pushing. “Trust me.”

Then Jesse went there on an inspection trip and called. “We have to come here.” I said, “I know.” So, I chartered seven helicopters.

Watching them fly across the Greek countryside felt like something out of Apocalypse Now. All we needed was “Ride of the Valkyries” blasting through the headsets. We landed on a remote soccer field and spent the day exploring. Meteora was as magnificent as I remembered.

That was probably the most dramatic thing we did, but it wasn’t the most important.

We started in Athens, then moved through Samos, Patmos, Mykonos, Delos and Santorini. We explored ruins, swam in the Aegean and ate very well.

We also ate approximately 935 Greek salads.

I didn’t keep an official count, but 935 feels conservative. Apparently Greek law requires tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, olives and a slab of feta the size of a paving stone to be placed on every table before anyone is allowed to eat anything else.

 


I had forgotten how good tzatziki is in Greece. I’ve eaten plenty of it in America, and some of it is OK. But eating it there made me realize that much of what I had been eating back home was yogurt that had once heard a rumor about a cucumber. I couldn’t get enough of it.

Santorini surprised me most. I hadn’t cared much for it after my first visit 15 years ago. Turns out Santorini wasn’t the problem. I just hadn’t known where to go. On our final evening, we boarded a catamaran and watched what may have been the finest sunset of my life.

I could fill this entire column telling you where we went and what we did. But that really isn’t what this trip was about.

The 24 people traveling with me had taken a combined 151 Yonderlust trips. One guest was on her 12th. Several had traveled with me five, six or seven times. A few were on their ninth. At some point, without my realizing exactly when it happened, a lot of these people stopped being guests and became close friends.

From the beginning of Yonderlust Travel, I have said that traveling with 24 or 25 people the way we do has never felt like group travel. Around 1,700 people have traveled with me over the past 10 years, and one of the things that has always fascinated me is how quickly a group of people who may barely know each other can begin to feel like old friends. For years, I couldn’t quite put my finger on why that happened.

Then it hit me: it’s the meals.

Most days we sit down together three times—breakfast, lunch and dinner. Do that for 10 days and you learn a lot about people. You learn where they grew up, about their children and grandchildren, old friends, places they love, people they miss and things that matter to them. That’s what people talk about around a table.

Friendship has always mattered a great deal to me. Next to my faith and my family, my friends are among the greatest blessings of my life. I still have close friendships that began in elementary school—the kind where you can go two years without seeing someone and pick right back up where you left off.

I always thought that kind of friendship required decades. I don’t anymore.

I have friends at home whom I love like brothers, but I don’t spend 14 hours a day with them for 10 straight days. On these trips, that is exactly what happens. We eat together, ride together, walk together, sit on boats together, get tired together, laugh together and somewhere along the way become true friends. Then many come back the next year, and we do it again. That changes a relationship.

Yonderlust Travel started because I enjoy showing people places I have discovered. Somehow it became a real year-round business. I get a lot of the credit because my name is attached, but much belongs elsewhere. Jesse and our team back home—Brittany and Simeon—handle a hundred details and make me look more competent than I am.

The strange thing is that I never went looking for this career any more than I went looking for the restaurant business. I grew up without a father steering me toward a profession. My mother was an art teacher and hoped I might become an architect. I probably would have enjoyed that for a while, though I suspect I eventually would have tried to put a restaurant in every building I designed.

Instead, the restaurant business found me. Years later, travel found me too.

Three times in my adult life, at three different churches, I have taken one of those spiritual-gifts assessments. All three times I got the same answer: hospitality.

The first time I was disappointed. I was hoping for wisdom. Maybe discernment. Leadership sounded good. Faith. Something impressive. I got hospitality.

Basically, God told me to feed people and make sure everybody had a chair.

At the time, I felt like I had drawn the short straw. Then I took the test again a few years later. Same answer. Then a third. Eventually even I can take a hint.

I don’t claim to be good at a lot of things, but I am comfortable welcoming people. I know how to feed them. I enjoy showing them a place I love and watching them enjoy it. For most of my adult life I have done that in restaurants. Now I also get to do it while traveling.

I have two of the greatest jobs in the world, and the older I get, the more I realize they are really the same job: hospitality. I feel blessed to have landed in work that fits me, work I love and work I believe I was meant to do.

I am grateful for every person who walks through the doors of one of our restaurants and trusts us with an evening. And I am especially grateful for the people who hand us 10 days of their lives, fly halfway around the world and trust us to make those days count.

I’ll remember the helicopters, Meteora, Patmos, the 935 Greek salads and enough tzatziki to float a fishing boat. I’ll remember that sunset in Santorini. But I suspect what I’ll remember most is who was sitting across from me at the table.

Seven helicopters make for a pretty good story. Twenty-four people around a table make for something much better.

Onward.

 

RSJ’s Greek Tzatziki

This is the style of tzatziki I fell in love with again in Greece - thick, cool, garlicky, bright and built around full-fat Greek yogurt and well-drained cucumber. The key is keeping excess water out of the sauce and giving it enough time to rest so the garlic, olive oil, herbs and acid come together. Once you eat the real thing in Greece, most American tzatziki tastes like yogurt that once heard a rumor about a cucumber.

 

Yield: About 2 1/2 cups

Prep time: 20 minutes, plus draining and chilling

Best made: 2-4 hours before serving

 

2 cups full-fat Greek yogurt, preferably 5% milkfat

1 large English cucumber

2 large cloves garlic, very finely grated or mashed to a paste

2 Tbl extra-virgin olive oil

1 Tbl red wine vinegar

1 Tbl fresh lemon juice

1 1/2 Tbl finely chopped fresh dill

1 tsp kosher salt, divided

1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

 

Grate the cucumber on the large holes of a box grater. Toss with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and place in a fine-mesh strainer for 15 minutes.

Transfer the cucumber to a clean kitchen towel and squeeze it hard. Then squeeze it again. The cucumber should be almost dry. This is the difference between thick Greek tzatziki and watery cucumber dip.

In a bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, garlic, olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, dill, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper.

Fold the drained cucumber into the yogurt mixture until thoroughly combined.

Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Four hours is better. Overnight is excellent.

Taste and adjust the salt, vinegar or lemon if needed. Spoon into a serving bowl and drizzle with a little additional extra-virgin olive oil.

 

 

Chef's Notes

Use full-fat yogurt. This is not the place for zero-fat anything. You want richness and body.

Drain the cucumber thoroughly. Most bad tzatziki fails here.

Don't overdo the garlic. It gets considerably stronger while the sauce rests.

Red wine vinegar matters. Lemon brings freshness, but the vinegar gives it that unmistakable Greek character.

Serve it cold, but not ice-cold. Let it sit out for 10-15 minutes before serving so you can actually taste everything.

 

Optional Chef Upgrades

Strain the yogurt first. Even good Greek yogurt can carry extra whey. Put it in cheesecloth or a fine-mesh strainer over a bowl for 1-2 hours in the refrigerator before mixing. You will get a thicker, richer texture.

Bloom the garlic in the olive oil. Mash the garlic into a paste with a pinch of salt, stir it into the olive oil and let it sit for 10-15 minutes before adding it to the yogurt. This rounds off the harsh edge and spreads the garlic flavor more evenly through the sauce.

Add a little fresh mint with the dill. Keep the dill dominant, but add 1 tsp very finely chopped fresh mint. You should not taste "mint tzatziki." It should simply taste brighter and fresher.

 


 

 

Serving Suggestions

 

Warm pita or grilled flatbread

Grilled lamb chops

Chicken souvlaki

Pork souvlaki

Gyros

Grilled fish

Roasted potatoes

Grilled vegetables

Raw vegetables as a dip

Falafel

Lamb burgers

Spread on sandwiches or wraps

Spoon over roasted eggplant

Serve alongside rice or grain bowls

Use as a sauce for grilled shrimp

Serve it with fried zucchini chips

 

Serve it with warm pita and try not to eat half the bowl before dinner starts.


Recent Comments

Search Jackson Jambalaya

Archives

Trollfest '09

Trollfest '07 was such a success that Jackson Jambalaya will once again host Trollfest '09. Catch this great event which will leave NE Jackson & Fondren in flames. Othor Cain and his band, The Black Power Structure headline the night while Sonjay Poontang returns for an encore performance. Former Frank Melton bodyguard Marcus Wright makes his premier appearance at Trollfest singing "I'm a Sweet Transvestite" from "The Rocky Horror Picture Show." Kamikaze will sing his new hit, “How I sold out to da Man.” Robbie Bell again performs: “Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be Bells” and “Any friend of Ed Peters is a friend of mine”. After the show, Ms. Bell will autograph copies of her mug shot photos. In a salute to “Dancing with the Stars”, Ms. Bell and Hinds County District Attorney Robert Smith will dance the Wango Tango.

Wrestling returns, except this time it will be a Battle Royal with Othor Cain, Ben Allen, Kim Wade, Haley Fisackerly, Alan Lange, and “Big Cat” Donna Ladd all in the ring at the same time. The Battle Royal will be in a steel cage, no time limit, no referee, and the losers must leave town. Marshand Crisler will be the honorary referee (as it gives him a title without actually having to do anything).


Meet KIM Waaaaaade at the Entergy Tent. For five pesos, Kim will sell you a chance to win a deed to a crack house on Ridgeway Street stuffed in the Howard Industries pinata. Don't worry if the pinata is beaten to shreds, as Mr. Wade has Jose, Emmanuel, and Carlos, all illegal immigrants, available as replacements for the it. Upon leaving the Entergy tent, fig leaves will be available in case Entergy literally takes everything you have as part of its Trollfest ticket price adjustment charge.

Donna Ladd of The Jackson Free Press will give several classes on learning how to write. Smearing, writing without factchecking, and reporting only one side of a story will be covered. A donation to pay their taxes will be accepted and she will be signing copies of their former federal tax liens. Ms. Ladd will give a dramatic reading of her two award-winning essays (They received The Jackson Free Press "Best Of" awards.) "Why everything is always about me" and "Why I cover murders better than anyone else in Jackson".

In the spirit of helping those who are less fortunate, Trollfest '09 adopts a cause for which a portion of the proceeds and donations will be donated: Keeping Frank Melton in his home. The “Keep Frank Melton From Being Homeless” booth will sell chances for five dollars to pin the tail on the jackass. John Reeves has graciously volunteered to be the jackass for this honorable excursion into saving Frank's ass. What's an ass between two friends after all? If Mr. Reeves is unable to um, perform, Speaker Billy McCoy has also volunteered as when the word “jackass” was mentioned he immediately ran as fast as he could to sign up.


In order to help clean up the legal profession, Adam Kilgore of the Mississippi Bar will be giving away free, round-trip plane tickets to the North Pole where they keep their bar complaint forms (which are NOT available online). If you don't want to go to the North Pole, you can enjoy Brant Brantley's (of the Mississippi Commission on Judicial Performance) free guided tours of the quicksand field over by High Street where all complaints against judges disappear. If for some reason you are unable to control yourself, never fear; Judge Houston Patton will operate his jail where no lawyers are needed or allowed as you just sit there for minutes... hours.... months...years until he decides he is tired of you sitting in his jail. Do not think Judge Patton is a bad judge however as he plans to serve free Mad Dog 20/20 to all inmates.

Trollfest '09 is a pet-friendly event as well. Feel free to bring your dog with you and do not worry if your pet gets hungry, as employees of the Jackson Zoo will be on hand to provide some of their animals as food when it gets to be feeding time for your little loved one.

Relax at the Fox News Tent. Since there are only three blonde reporters in Jackson (being blonde is a requirement for working at Fox News), Megan and Kathryn from WAPT and Wendy from WLBT will be on loan to Fox. To gain admittance to the VIP section, bring either your Republican Party ID card or a Rebel Flag. Bringing both and a torn-up Obama yard sign will entitle you to free drinks served by Megan, Wendy, and Kathryn. Get your tickets now. Since this is an event for trolls, no ID is required. Just bring the hate. Bring the family, Trollfest '09 is for EVERYONE!!!

This is definitely a Beaver production.


Note: Security provided by INS.

Trollfest '07

Jackson Jambalaya is the home of Trollfest '07. Catch this great event which promises to leave NE Jackson & Fondren in flames. Sonjay Poontang and his band headline the night with a special steel cage, no time limit "loser must leave town" bout between Alan Lange and "Big Cat"Donna Ladd following afterwards. Kamikaze will perform his new song F*** Bush, he's still a _____. Did I mention there was no referee? Dr. Heddy Matthias and Lori Gregory will face off in the undercard dueling with dangling participles and other um, devices. Robbie Bell will perform Her two latest songs: My Best Friends are in the Media and Mama's, Don't Let Your Babies Grow up to be George Bell. Sid Salter of The Clarion-Ledger will host "Pin the Tail on the Trial Lawyer", sponsored by State Farm.

There will be a hugging booth where in exchange for your young son, Frank Melton will give you a loooong hug. Trollfest will have a dunking booth where Muhammed the terrorist will curse you to Allah as you try to hit a target that will drop him into a vat of pig grease. However, in the true spirit of Separate But Equal, Don Imus and someone from NE Jackson will also sit in the dunking booth for an equal amount of time. Tom Head will give a reading for two hours on why he can't figure out who the hell he is. Cliff Cargill will give lessons with his .80 caliber desert eagle, using Frank Melton photos as targets. Tackleberry will be on hand for an autograph session. KIM Waaaaaade will be passing out free titles and deeds to crackhouses formerly owned by The Wood Street Players.

If you get tired come relax at the Fox News Tent. To gain admittance to the VIP section, bring either your Republican Party ID card or a Rebel Flag. Bringing both will entitle you to free drinks.Get your tickets now. Since this is an event for trolls, no ID is required, just bring the hate. Bring the family, Trollfest '07 is for EVERYONE!!!

This is definitely a Beaver production.

Note: Security provided by INS
.