Jackson Mayor John Horhn wants to cancel the parking meter contract.
It's about time. The app is crap. It crashes immediately upon opening. It doesn't matter if installed and reinstalled, it crashes. Going to the Parkingapp.com app is almost useless as it kicks you to the app which then crashes. There is a link to on the website to a "Passport" app which actually works. A great deal of trouble to endure just to park. There are other companies such as Parking Premium which provide superior service. Good riddance.
Posted below is the resolution and contract.


34 comments:
Should be no meters downtown.
Is the Mayor listening to Mr. Foote? Hope so! Next close the zoo!
So city will owe money to the company?
For Horhn, an obvious, easy decision. Lumumba had proclaimed COJ would be rolling in meter millions: an empty promise. Next please disconnect the zoo. Horhn could raze it, replace it with community vegetable plots.
Rather than Jackson requiring people to pay to park they should do the opposite and pay people to park, pay people to come downtown. Why would anyone voluntarily go downtown, there’s nothing there.
Just don’t go to downtown Jackson, problem solved.
Another line item on the list of "Things Lumumba Fucked Up".
Just do what they were doing before, park and move it every 2 or 3 hours. If you get a ticket don't pay they have a yearly "amnesty" day where you can pay your parking tickets for pennies on the dollar.
Did Lumumba or any of the council clowns or the chattering class conprofits get paid?
Just don’t go downtown. The leadership HATES people from Madison, Flowood, Brandon, etc. don’t hover them a dime. They hate you.
Thank you Mayor. You could not read the screen in sun light. I saw people give up. People avoided downtown due to the meters..
I guess they've never heard of a quarter.
They missed this boat by about 20 years. No way I would feed a meter in an empty town. Everybody knows it’s not enforced.
4:26 is right. Anybody with a brain knew this idea would be a bust. Hooray for Hizzhonor and the Council.
Parking meters should be on the same list as the zoo regarding things a struggling city should not have.
ONLY ONE PROPOSAL WAS RECEIVED...
SO MUCH WINNING WITH MAYOR CHOKWE ANTAR LUMUMBA!
What do the required Monthly Reports look like?
How big are the losses?
When I have to go downtown to work, it’s been nice to be able to find a parking spot with the meters. It keeps people who work in the buildings from taking up places that people visiting downtown need. The app is convenient to use and inexpensive. You can get two hours of parking for less than $3. I don’t have a problem paying for parking. Every other capital city I’ve visited you have to pay to park.
Down with revenue streams!
And they aren't giving the city any revenue. Lol, and the city will be having to pay them back for these worthless..non dollar taking machines. Such a clown show.
I have been "enforced" with a ticket for parking downtown. I didn't understand the app and how to pay...so I got to pay a ticket.
I now see that Mrs. Lumumba reads this blog.
I work downtown. I use the app multiple times a week. There's nothing wrong with it. Easy to use. It's the same app that every other downtown uses.
I'm indifferent about the meters. When there was no meter, there was no place to park. The downtown workforce took a spot from early morning till closing. On the positive side, parking was free and, if you got a spot, you got to your desk quicker. The meters at least allowed for come and go, which still happens downtown. Also, the meters are VERY closely monitored.
I dont disagree with the general premise of pay-to-park, but if you dont make the payment process easy it will deter traffic.
If I can find what I need in areas that dont require pay-to-park, then I will patronize those instead. I found myself skipping Main Street in Starkville when they installed meters, when I might have previously popped into a store or restaurant on other visits there. I chose other stores with easy parking instead.
Luckily, I have not been to downtown Jackson in years so I never encountered Lamumbles nightmare meters. I am sure I could figure them out, but again...if there is an easier/equal option...it really can deter traffic. And that is the last thing COJ needs.
I don't use the app but when I park downtown in metered areas I use the machine. It is a little more complicated for me than putting change in a meter box but also, the world isn't supposed to be designed to cater to me. Jackson chose this method and I'm fine with it. I'm sure I'll be fine with whatever method replaces it. Will it be the best plan in the world? I'm sure not. But so what. It's just a parking payment process.
Broken record apologist @ 10:36. Every.single.time.
It's the same app that every other downtown uses.
Link?
Bro, the meters are an absolute Pain in the rear.. Takes ages to get it to where you put your tag in and you have to go back and forth to confirm your email is legit.. Huge pain. HOWEVER, it is most affordable.. HEY , KF.. hot tip.. the City of Jackson is up to no good again.. maybe this will be another NO BID vendor opportunity again.
ABSOLUTELY NOT! This is Shock-Ways' pet project which is bringing millions of $$ into City coffers.
Hohrn didn’t receive his cut, but Chowke did. Right?
The current "meters" are a pain in the butt! It takes too much time to go through everything just to park in a city where nothing is going on and there's limited reason to be there in the first place! Secondly, I've downloaded apps from parking systems in two other cities, both of which were victims of a data breach! Oh great, now I have to deal with my information being on the dark web just so a city can extort me to make their job easier / more lucrative. On top of that, the last time I used one in Jackson, my MINIMUM charge for a very small amount of time was $1.30! What? Whatever happened to a quarter for an hour? I know prices go up over time, but an initial 500+% increase? Again, there's no real reason to go downtown anymore. Too many tumbleweeds!
Ppl didn’t go there cause of the meters just like ppl not going to Pearl cause of the traffic ticket cams. Does Pearl still enforce those?
Right
Great
May make more money off of sales tax money from Mayflower, Keifer’s Downtwon, etc. with people more open to coming downtown if don’t have to pay to park anyway.
Post a Comment