The Mississippi Museum of Art is going to take over Jackson's newly-renovated planetarium when it opens after the Jackson City Council voted 5-1 to approve the contract with MMA last night.
Ward 2 Councilwoman Tina Clay voted against the contract while Ward 3 Councilman Kenneth I. Stokes was absent.
The city will make an initial payment of $250,000 to MMA within sixty days after the signing of the contract and annual payments of $130,000 to operate the planetarium. The city and museum will equally split any profits. The contract term is three years. Ms. Clay said she supported the partnership but opposed the $250,000 payment.
Downtown Jackson activist Micheal Rejebean applauded the move "I've been a resident of downtown Jackson for 18 years, and during that time the Mississippi Museum of Art has been a solid, well managed institution that understands what it takes to attract visitors. All of us downtown have the utmost confidence in its ability to make the very most out of our new Planetarium."
"We have had a long and fruitful partnership with the city of Jackson so we are excited about expanding that. We look forward to bringing energy from art lovers and planetarium lovers. I think it's going to be a nice fit. It's going to be a nice experience for those who want to visit both."
Ms. Bradley said the museum is considering offering a combined ticket for both facilities. The museum is working with a consultant who has opened planetariums around the country and will soon advertise the hiring of a Director.
Kingfish note: Win-win for Jackson. This should have happened years ago. The people at the Mississippi Museum of Art know far more about operating exhibits, tourism, and marketing than does the city. Of course, some clowns will be screaming for someone to make it make sense to them but that is what they are: clowns.
The video of the vote, transcript, and contract are posted below.
Gemini Transcript
Vernon Hartley: Item 34, excuse me, 31.
Tina Clay: Order authorizing the mayor to execute a Joint Operations Agreement with the Mississippi Museum of Art, Inc. to manage the McNair-Davis Planetarium.
Vernon Hartley: So moved.
Unidentified Speaker: Second.
Vernon Hartley: Been moved and properly seconded.
Kevin Parkinson: Mr. President, I believe this is the item that... that... do we need to... uh... Never mind.
Vernon Hartley: Okay. Any other questions?
Ashby Foote: I got... I got a question.
Vernon Hartley: Yes. Councilman Foote.
Ashby Foote: So, the... the... the city's, I guess... so, when the... when they open up the planetarium, it'll be operational, and the budget will expand, I assume, because of that. what's the budget arrangement between the city and the Mississippi Museum of Art? Do we know what our costs are going to be for, say, the course of a year? Is there someone here to comment on that?
Kevin Parkinson: Somebody may be coming up...
Vernon Hartley: Uh, I think that you have that number? Is there anyone with that number? Anyone from the city, first of all?
Kevin Parkinson: While the mayor is coming up, may I speak to that?
Vernon Hartley: Yes. Councilman Parkinson.
Kevin Parkinson: Thank you. the mayor will be able to speak to the specifics. It's all laid out here. But what I'll say is, it's actually going to be a cost savings for us as opposed to us running it ourselves and that's for, uh, many, many reasons. But we'll be able to operate it cheaper, and it'll be better. I think they're more equipped to do the type of work that, uh, it takes to run a planetarium than a municipal body will. If you look at the top 20 planetariums throughout the country, almost all of them, almost to a T, are run by arrangements such as this, or other non-profits.
Ashby Foote: Yeah, I'm aware of that, and, of course, I was thinking that planetarium we hadn't been spending anything on running the planetarium. We may have been spending money on building it, but I I just wanted to know what the cost was going to be to for the city. And, and I know there was going to be some sharing going on.
Vernon Hartley: Okay, questions for, uh, legal? Can you help us?
Terry Williamson: Uh, yes. So, um, there is an initial payment on the effective date of $250,000. And then there will be a payment, due at the beginning of next fiscal year of $130,000. it's a brand new facility. we wouldn't anticipate that there would be any major capital repairs or anything like that done or needed but those are capped at $5,000. So, if something like that should happen, if an emergency were to occur, and it were to cost, you know, repairs of over $5,000, the city would be responsible for that.
Ashby Foote: So, what you said $130,000, that's to the beginning, but it's more than that per year, isn't it? Wouldn't it be more than that for. I guess my question would be, since we're wrestling with this General Fund situation right now, Do you know what the annual cost would be to the city?
Terry Williamson: the management fee would be $130,000 a year...
Ashby Foote: Well, that's for the whole year?
Terry Williamson: ...beginning the first year, there would be $250,000 due probably out of this year's budget.
Ashby Foote: This year being 2026 fiscal year?
Terry Williamson: Yeah, the exist- yeah, the current year. there may be some way that could be deferred...
Ashby Foote: I'm not worried about that so much. I just want to get a number, that's all.
Terry Williamson: it could be reduced, possibly, as a result of a transfer from JRA as a result of the New Markets Tax Credit transaction.
Ashby Foote: Well, anyway, that's more that's too deep in the weeds for right now.
Terry Williamson: Okay.
Ashby Foote: Thank you.
Terry Williamson: So, yeah, 250, and, and should there be an operating profit, that would be split 50/50 with the museum.
Ashby Foote: Okay.
Vernon Hartley: Councilwoman...
Tina Clay: I think it's a good idea, but I'm against the 250 up front. So, if I vote no, you know that it's not because of the arrangement, it's because of the 250.
Brian Grizzell: Madam CFO, has the line item been identified where this money will be coming from?
Tina Clay:, not the line item. We have not located the line item that we will pay it from, but it will come from the General Fund.
Brian Grizzell: Okay. And it's there? Taking a long time? So, $250,000 initial and then $130,000 per year? And the money's there?
Terry Williamson: Yes, and it's a three... and it's a three-year, renewable for an initial three years.
Vernon Hartley: Are there any other questions or comments? Not? All in favor? Opposed? Abstain? All right. What was that? 5-1. Okay, very good. Uh, let's go on to the next...


6 comments:
Do you think that felon Chowke Antar Lumumba will be invited to the opening gala?
Make it make sense JXN is like a 100x worse alex jones. He also blocked me. The conspiracies he makes up are insane
KF, It looks (sounds??) like a few of the comments above in the transcript as being from Councilwoman Clay actually came from the clerk/deputy clerk; not sure but it would make more sense that way. Not sure Councilwoman Clay has enough sense (knowledge) to have been able to provide that information.
Wasn't that how the Zoo was run before it was transferred to the city?
Tina Clay is the new stooge I guess. She wakes up every morning and is like "hmm how can I be wrong today?"
Kennuff Stoke been quiet lately...
There used to be a grey-haired lawyer on Jackson stations running ads. This was twenty years ago. He always started off by saying: "Let's talk facts, folks". Well, let's do.
a) What's the demographic percentage of black folk in Jackson?
b) What percent of that number is impoverished or near the poverty line?
c) Take a shot at guessing the number of impoverished black folk who might visit a cultural venue like an art museum.
d) What are the homicide, burglary, assault and robbery numbers in Jackson?
e) Given a, b, c and d, who will brave the streets of downtown Jackson to visit the venue?
Potential visitors to our capital city make decisions based on safety. Period. the zoo, art galleries and the planetarium will never survive solely on school field trips arranged by Councilman Stokes.
Post a Comment