CBS is kicking WJTV to the curb. The Desk.net reported:
Paramount has renewed its agreement to continue offering CBS programming on three dozen local television stations owned by Nexstar Media Group, but the deal will also see some Nexstar stations end their agreement with CBS in August, The Desk has learned.
The move will impact viewers in a number of communities, including Albuquerque, New Mexico; Jackson, Mississippi; Bismarck, North Dakota; Birmingham, Alabama; Greenville, South Carolina and Rapid City, South Dakota — where Nexstar will replace CBS programming with that of another network.
In Albuquerque, KRQE (Channel 13) will convert from a CBS affiliate into a full-time Fox affiliate, a Nexstar spokesperson said by e-mail. In the other three markets, the affected CBS affiliates — WJTV (Channel 12), WIAT (Channel 42) and WSPA (Channel 7) — will become CW Network-owned stations. The changes will take place on August 1.
Those stations will increase their output of local news and community-oriented programming. Those programs are expected to fill some daytime and evening voids left by the lack of CBS game shows, talk shows and late night comedy programs, two sources said. Rest of article.
In four markets, Hearst Television will take over the CBS affiliate from a Nexstar-owned station and will begin distributing CBS entertainment, news and sports on a digital sub-channel of a station already affiliated with a competing broadcast network. The stations that will begin distributing CBS programming from August 1 are:
- KOAT (Channel 7, ABC) in Albuquerque
- WAPT (Channel 16, ABC) in Jackson, Mississippi
- WVTM (Channel 13, NBC) in Birmingham, Alabama
- WYFF (Channel 4, NBC) in Greenville, South Carolina
Get ready for the big switch.

70 comments:
This is going to suck bigtime for college football, NFL and golf (the Masters, in particular).
Looks like I'll have to keep Paramount for football season.
Looks like it might be the only solution.
I can’t remember when I’ve watched local tv or local news. I just read Jackson Jambalaya.
Madison's 'No Money for Hollywood, Ever' crowd, will be THRILLED.
This means there will soon be a non-Internet news source which isn't full-on-Communist. (at least this is what is hoped-for since Bari Weiss was named the network's Editor-in-Chief ) (CBS, at least, aired PART of our President's recent address, unlike certain others, which aired NONE of it).
But even with fractal antennae, many on that side of the metro could not get WJTV. (paying for TV, is giving money to an entertainment industry whose agendas are well-known: basically helping finance one's own destruction. Besides: every subscription is a vulnerability: sending information to yet another non-trustworthy entity).
This is BIG. Everybody, thank 16!
Fortunately I got rid of TV in 1991 or I’d be really broken up by this.
Good. That station sucks.
This sucks. I like having 3 different local news stations, especially during bad weather. Each one has good coverage during those times. What happens to all the people working at WJTV? The 3 locals give a variety of coverage. Just sucks.
So WAPT's app or streaming will have a CBS channel as well?
Five years ago this would have been devastating for college sports fans in the area. Now, its a yawner.
I'm a little surprised they can do this though. Where is the FCC?
Didn’t it say wapt would get cbs? If so then who will do abc ?
CBS programming will be on WAPT 16.2. Therefore, WAPT will continue to have ABC programming on 16.1.
The WFL? Woke football network.
Putting the NFL behind a pay wall so they could retaliate against losing $$$ to cord cutting and streaming.
People still watch local channels?
When I read about Milo Minderbender buying and selling eggs in Catch-22, I felt the same reading that.
I’m just wanting to know when we are going to get some hottie weather girls. The most I see look pregnant but they are not.
Any idea why this is happening? I very seldom watch any CBS, ABC or NBC programming so this is no big loss to me. Just wondering what WJTV did to piss off CBS after 70 plus years of carrying them. I think WJTV broadcast the DuMont Television Network before they got CBS in the early 1950's.
Half the commenters didn't read the article.
Channel 12 local news is staying put and will likely expand
CBS national programming will be available on 16 point something.
What if you are on Comcast?
This oughta be interesting! I hope the local employees come out of this OK as there are some fine people there. With the Braves now on one of those sub-channels, and now this - my over-the-air antenna is about to get a real workout.
I'm on Comcast and paying a ransom each month for cable. I don't know why I haven't cut the cord, but this is yet another channel that will be gone from my lineup, but you can be sure they will continue charging me the same amount (if not more). They moved INSP western channel to the "pay extra to get it" lineup a couple years ago, even though it is a monetized network via advertising. I keep getting less and less for what I"m paying.
Shucks, no more roll tide at 2pm on CBS.
6:44 yes. I have an antenna and watch only broadcast television. I don’t watch a great deal of television. There is about 30 channels, and when I do watch television, its costs nothing. 🌞
No monthly bill with antenna. Each station has so many sub-channels (side channels) and different varieties of programing it's like a little system unto itself. All the major networks included and all digital.
All TV stations are required to broadcast over the air.
So, how do I pick up a digital sub channel?
Not to worry.
WJTV fans can still find classic clips of Weatherman Bob Neblett, standing in front of his map ...slurping Ice Cream from a bowl and doing an ad read for Seale-Lily ...while getting excited about a rain shower in D'Lo.
12 is the only OTA channel I can't get so F 'em.
I picked up some vintage soft porn channels on my antenna!
It's not gone, 5:12! Don't worry! WJTV will be at 16-4. Re-scan your TV settings, on August 1. 16 has better towers/transmission, so this is a huge plus. Apparently, 12's other 3 channels will remain where they are.
Or Hulu or other streaming services that don’t offer the “.x” channels.
Buy an HDTV antenna from Best Buy for $25 and hook into the tv. Scan the local channels, and you will get 32 area HDTV channels for free, including the subchannels
All the providers (Comcast, Direct, Dish, CSPIRE, HULU) should end up carrying the CBS feed on WAPT 16.4.
@7:52 PM The SEC hasn't been on CBS in two years, in case you haven't noticed.
It's all part of the gradual implementation of the grand design to control all distribution of information....to make sure it promotes the tyrannical ideas and parasitic culture meant to control everyone through distraction (entertainment) and fear (you're sick, and need to see a doctor).
Those of us who aren’t ignorant sheeple simply type IP addresses into VLC media player and watch whatever we want for free.
The final game broadcast under the SEC on CBS banner was the 2023 SEC Championship Game on December 2, 2023, in which Alabama defeated Georgia.
I will help y'all boomers out
Download VLC Media player.
Go to File > Open Network > and paste this URL:
https://iptv-org.github.io/iptv/index.m3u
Open the VLC playlist and be amazed at the the list of hundreds of unencrypted IPTV streams you can watch.
Bookmark this github to get the latest playlist link when it changes https://github.com/rhythm98/iptv-vlc#playlists
Welcome to the 21st century. You don't have to be literal cattle your entire lives.
Shreveport TV in the 1950s, when I woke up early, had two choices: a mediocre CW band or rocket countdowns and launches from Cape Canaveral. Maybe that's why I got an award in 1st grade for reading the most books?
If you’re watching TV, you’re literal cattle.
Whether you’re paying for it, whether you don’t, TV is bad for mind, body, and spirit.
So 16 will become ABC-CBS?
You're a genius at offering posts guaranteed to be published!
I don't trust anybody (like you) who obviously watches too damned much TV. I'll watch an occasional Gunsmoke or Mayberry and that's it.
Without getting into a bunch of cyber/antenna/atmospheric jargon, please tell me how I can pick up the local bimbo/apartment/restaurant fights after this?
Thanks 10:45 PM!
So what channel is Survivor on in Noxapater?
@11:06 - Thank you and I hope you're right.
Per Channel 16 Jackson CBS will be on WAPT 16.4 OTR
The Hattiesburg market will continue to receive CBS programming on WHLT, as well as receiving Channel 12 News.
Several years ago WLOX, a longtime ABC affiliate on the coast, added CBS, so WAPT adding CBS sounds like a similar thing.
We do we even still have broadcast TV? Auction off the spectrum. Nobody watches TV via antenna anymore. If it's still valuable to broadcast TV they can pay fair market value for it. If not, let someone else buy it for something useful.
July 25 @ 8 AM.
It may surprise you to learn in rural areas there is not enough internet speed to stream successfully much less download. There are plenty of people still watching TV by antenna, especially if they are on a fixed income and cannot operate a smart TV.
Reading the Clarion-Leger leads one to think that WJTV dropped CBS. Great reporting by CL continues.
10:15 - Taxpayers spent over $80 billion in stimulus funds on broadband for rural America, Starlink works most everywhere and a basic Direct TV subscription is $42 a month. Your mentality is why we spend more on debt service than national defense. People will help themselves when they have to.
Obviously this is causing angst to some that are saying they could care less. So what's the problem? Gotta be offended regardless?
CBS = Chronic Boredom Syndrome
Commercials Before Sports
Creative BS
Can't Believe Squat
Yes, 8;43! And if you don't have a "smart" TV, nobody knows what you're watching. You don't have to give personal information or location to any "service" (Think about all the trusted entities which have been hacked...).
With Free TV, nobody's correlating your address with your TV habits and your IP number and your phone number and... (and with AI, it's all getting worse, by the minute. Your car tag and biometrics will be thrown into the mix, too - assuming they aren't, already)
Too, you're not GIVING MONEY TO THE ENEMY. I don't have to tell you about mainstream media's 'Agenda', or 'The Narrative'. Even Internet clicks, are giving money and power, directly or indirectly. Free TV, in most cases, gives no money, 'cause nobody's recording clicks. There's only the ASSUMPTION that Free TV audiences are watching all those obnoxious people doing the stupid little dances in the ads.
You will be getting plenty of time to watch once AI takes your job.
WJTV was already third in viewership. The CW makes it even less of a draw/lead-in when folks want to tune in. They may say they're expanding local news, but this is Nexstar we're talking about here. They're known for mass firings and strip mining.
RIP Benjamin Sisko and Sigourney Weaver.
10:33– I miss a daily newspaper. The last time I bought Clarion- Ledger paper, it was $2:50. That’s the last time I’ll buy a Clarion-Ledger paper.
Can't Broadcast Shit
There is no such thing as an "HD" antenna, just an advertising lies.
@12:20 PM. Excellent!
"...couldn't care less."
Those stations will increase their output of local news and community-oriented programming.
Low to No budget programming that no one will watch.
And 9:10 AM WDAM Laurel - Hattiesburg has NBC 7.1 and ABC 7.2 plus 4 more channels. WWJX the low power station listed as Jackson has 9 total channels. It had 10 previously.
Why is CBS dropping stations ?
Based on what I'm hearing from people on the northeastern edge of the metro, their antennae will only pick up CBS (and its substations) during rare climatic moments, where clouds are low - bouncing signals - basically like those rare times when radio signals bounce across the Gulf, from Merida (which has great music, by the way).
And even THAT, is recent. Only within the last couple of months, did re-scanning result in Channel/Subchannel identifications. Previously, the screens were blue and totally blank. Now, at least, there's a bit of writing.
So, this may have more to do with transmission towers (and who has access to them) than anything else.
There's a lot of interest, currently, among Substack readers, who're aware that Bari Weiss (whose worldview is "Old-style Liberal", rather than the MSM norm: "Communists hiding behind the Liberal label") is helming the network, now.
People are curious. Fox, as the Scamdemic revealed, is a sellout (remember having to go to Sky News Australia, for anything resembling the truth?). So, with Weiss onboard, people are hoping... And those too smart to be hopeful, are, at least, intensely curious.
I hope that WAPT will broadcast CBS in HD. Their other sub-channels are in SD, even though some channels come in HD.
Forget what we learned in the 70s. Now, I think the only Jackson VHF station is 12; all others are UHF, and they have the better reception. I've have good success with the Amazon antenna, under $50, but have also ordered from Denny's Antenna found on the www.
I have YouTubetv, Paramount+, Prime and Netflix, but have antenna as a backup and to take advantage of sub channels. There are also hundreds of free streaming services that provide just about everything except live sports and, of course, current network fare.
I don't believe it's accurate to say CBS is dropping WJTV, if you read about the whole situation. Nextstar owns WJTV and a bunch of other stations, and has to pay a fee to Paramount/CBS and other networks to be able to carry its programming. For whatever reason, Nexstar apparently decided it's not worth paying that fee for several markets, including Jackson. Most of these markets like Jackson are relatively small, so my guess is somebody at Nexstar ran some numbers and concluded what they can sell local ads for in those markets doesn't justify paying that fee.
Post a Comment