Carlos grew into a squat, tough and muscular image of his father. He was always the leader of the pack among his siblings, who learned to accept the fact that he was the boss and gave him their untiring loyalty and support. He left school at the age of fourteen. By then, he was entrusted by his father to deliver the farm produce over the ferry to the market in New Orleans, and fight there for the best prices among the produce dealers and wholesalers. The vegetable and fruit markets had long been under the control of the Mafia and it was inevitable that young Carlos would become involved with people connected to the dreaded secret society that was already well established in this part of America.....
Although it cannot be stated with absolute certainty, it is highly probable that the Mafia established itself here in America for the first time. In the years to come, men of a similar nature and criminal predilection would form into clans, or borgatas, in the major cities of America such as New York, Cleveland, Buffalo, Chicago, Pittsburgh, and even smaller urban areas such as Denver, Minneapolis, Rochester and San Jose. But in the latter half of the nineteenth century, the "honoured society" was growing and consolidating its power base in Louisiana. ....."
Pour yourself a drink, relax in a comfortable chair, and enjoy this article. It is long, but it is a fascinating read. If you like this story, read Murder, Inc.
Thursday, August 23, 2007
May 21, 2013
King Features Syndicate
May 21, 2013
WLBT - News
The Rez News
The Market Ticker
And The Valley Shook
Ms. Business Journal
Soldier of Fortune
Ace of Spades
Most popular posts last week.
- Live-blogging the election tonight.
- "Free the land by any means necessary" (Editorial)
- Congratulations to Mayor-elect Chokwe Lumumba.
- Meet Chokwe's Republican supporters:
- The freakout continues
- The freakout begins.
- The Brand-ing of Jonathan Lee
- Chokwe: I don't like the poh-lice
- Sorority slapdown
- Precinct results
JJ special coverage
- Mississippi government online services
- Heather Spencer Murder
- Evans case
- Karen Irby case
- Jackson interest-rate swaps/refinance of bonds
- Steadivest fraud case
- Health Care bill readings
- Madison County coverage
- Hinds County Coverage
- About Us
- PERS Coverage
- Video feeds for Mississippi House & Senate
- JPS & Education
- Frazier coverage
- ► 2012 (1090)
- ► 2011 (1058)
- ► 2010 (951)
- ► 2009 (976)
- ► 2008 (932)
- Back From Starkpatch
- From the Field in Iraq
- DWF Introduces Wacko Woman
- Its ON tomorrow night.
- Make this Soljah a Prisoner of War, the War Agains...
- Some food for post-election thought.
- Iranian Economy Starting to Come Apart Due to Gas ...
- The 2007-2008 LSU Golden Girls
- More Truthwatch by Kingfish
- Kingfish's Truthwatch
- The Faye Peterson Chronicles
- Latest from the Field in Iraq
- Heeeeeeeeeeeeere's Johnny....
- Melton: No Friggin' Clue
- If you think Barbour is so bad, check out Blanco
- Truthwatch, Eh?
- The Mafia in New Orleans
- Well well well, Separate but Equal alive and well ...
- OK, DWF Wants To Know
- Poor Guy
- The Milky Way over Old Faithful
- The New Threat: Home-Grown Terrorists
- Need to find a crooked lawyer? Good luck
- Sunday Night Musings...........
- My Thoughts on the Paddling in School Debate:
- What IS Jackson Jambalaya?
- Friday Footnotes from DWF
- Giuliani on Terrorism
- WJTV: You are getting rather obvious.
- Latest News From the Field in Iraq
- Congrats to Jeff Weill, New Councilman for Ward 1
- How much cleavage is too much?
- BREAKING: John Ditto, Crimefighter?
- Kane Ditto: Crime Fighter Extraordinaire. NOT!
- Its 3:00 AM: One of the Best Songs Ever:
- GREAT letter to the editor about Powe in Clarion-L...
- DWF Presents: What WOMEN Really Think
- Repost: Kingfish's Notes from Election Night
- How To Tell What He is REALLY Thinking....
- Freedom of Religion is Apostasy
- FOOD FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!
- The Surge, Iraq, and Tet
- Election Notes from DWF
- Thoughts While Watching Election Coverage
- Could not vote for Reeves for Hinds County Tax Ass...
- About to go vote.
- My Favorite Campaign Commercial
- Don't forget Tuesday: Hinds County D.A. did NOT pr...
- Comment on Counter-Insurgency Post from British Of...
- Spaten Optimator: Too Good for Mississippi
- Dear DWF,
- Bread and Circuses in Iraq
- The Ant Nebula
- ▼ August (56)
The Kingfish's Favorite Posts
- Majority black public school districts spend more, waste more, fail more
- Jackson's water bond failure: The REST of the story.
- Time to return fire on Banks
- Supervisor votes on projects next to land he owns
- Throwdown at the Levee Board
- Door shuts on another life
- Truth begins to come out in Irby case
- Judge orders interview of Irby
- Steadivest: Snakes or snake-bitten?
- Post-election thoughts
- Rest of the story about Crisler's shooting
- Jackson paying $4 million in fees
- Will Jackson end up like Birmingham
- Record-breaking fraud?
- FBI contacted MVT about Evans
- Heather Spencer police reports
- An open letter to John McCain
- Are your 401k's safe from Democrats?
- Democrats' Plans for Controlling the Media
- Who is Teresa Ghilarducci?
- Kingfish wins at Ethics Commission
- Tribe of Obama
- Berry V. Aetna (rankin County Cesspool)
- Incest in Dixie: Mississippi Legal Profession
- Jim Hood: Liar
- JFP Tax Problems? (See comments)
- The SafeCity Bill
- Isn't this called secession?
- A Black Governor in Mississippi?
- Time to grade Miles' exam
- Domestic Violence & Divorce in Mississippi
- Truthwatch, eh?
- What is Jackson Jambalaya?
- Election Night Thoughts
- Counter-Insurgency for Beginners
- Jazz for Beginngers
- Mayor Melton's Soljah
- A Leopard Can't Change His Spots, Can Jere Nash?
- Harborwalk Hoax?
- A Pox on All Your Houses
Local Media & Blogs
- Clarion Ledger (Jackson, MS Gannett Newspaper)
- Jackson NOW!
- The Rez News
- Y'all Politics
- Mississippi Wiki
- Mississippi Litigation Review
- Jackson Free Press (Jackson, MS Alternative Weekly)
- The Magnolia Report
- Majority in Mississippi
- The Perception of Life
- The Northside Sun
- Mississippi Magazine
- The Mississippi Link
- Other Cain Report
- Tom Head's Civil Liberties Website
- Blog on Mississippi Sovereignty Commission
- Harborwalk Thread (Jackson's Latest Boondoggle)
Wrestling returns, except this time it will be a Battle Royal with Othor Cain, Ben Allen, Kim Wade, Haley Fisackerly, Alan Lange, and “Big Cat” Donna Ladd all in the ring at the same time. The Battle Royal will be in a steel cage, no time limit, no referee, and the losers must leave town. Marshand Crisler will be the honorary referee (as it gives him a title without actually having to do anything).
Meet KIM Waaaaaade at the Entergy Tent. For five pesos, Kim will sell you a chance to win a deed to a crack house on Ridgeway Street stuffed in the Howard Industries pinata. Don't worry if the pinata is beaten to shreds, as Mr. Wade has Jose, Emmanuel, and Carlos, all illegal immigrants, available as replacements for the it. Upon leaving the Entergy tent, fig leaves will be available in case Entergy literally takes everything you have as part of its Trollfest ticket price adjustment charge.
Donna Ladd of The Jackson Free Press will give several classes on learning how to write. Smearing, writing without factchecking, and reporting only one side of a story will be covered. A donation to pay their taxes will be accepted and she will be signing copies of their former federal tax liens. Ms. Ladd will give a dramatic reading of her two award-winning essays (They received The Jackson Free Press "Best Of" awards.) "Why everything is always about me" and "Why I cover murders better than anyone else in Jackson".
In the spirit of helping those who are less fortunate, Trollfest '09 adopts a cause for which a portion of the proceeds and donations will be donated: Keeping Frank Melton in his home. The “Keep Frank Melton From Being Homeless” booth will sell chances for five dollars to pin the tail on the jackass. John Reeves has graciously volunteered to be the jackass for this honorable excursion into saving Frank's ass. What's an ass between two friends after all? If Mr. Reeves is unable to um, perform, Speaker Billy McCoy has also volunteered as when the word “jackass” was mentioned he immediately ran as fast as he could to sign up.
In order to help clean up the legal profession, Adam Kilgore of the Mississippi Bar will be giving away free, round-trip plane tickets to the North Pole where they keep their bar complaint forms (which are NOT available online). If you don't want to go to the North Pole, you can enjoy Brant Brantley's (of the Mississippi Commission on Judicial Performance) free guided tours of the quicksand field over by High Street where all complaints against judges disappear. If for some reason you are unable to control yourself, never fear; Judge Houston Patton will operate his jail where no lawyers are needed or allowed as you just sit there for minutes... hours.... months...years until he decides he is tired of you sitting in his jail. Do not think Judge Patton is a bad judge however as he plans to serve free Mad Dog 20/20 to all inmates.
Trollfest '09 is a pet-friendly event as well. Feel free to bring your dog with you and do not worry if your pet gets hungry, as employees of the Jackson Zoo will be on hand to provide some of their animals as food when it gets to be feeding time for your little loved one.
Relax at the Fox News Tent. Since there are only three blonde reporters in Jackson (being blonde is a requirement for working at Fox News), Megan and Kathryn from WAPT and Wendy from WLBT will be on loan to Fox. To gain admittance to the VIP section, bring either your Republican Party ID card or a Rebel Flag. Bringing both and a torn-up Obama yard sign will entitle you to free drinks served by Megan, Wendy, and Kathryn. Get your tickets now. Since this is an event for trolls, no ID is required. Just bring the hate. Bring the family, Trollfest '09 is for EVERYONE!!!
This is definitely a Beaver production.
Note: Security provided by INS.
There will be a hugging booth where in exchange for your young son, Frank Melton will give you a loooong hug. Trollfest will have a dunking booth where Muhammed the terrorist will curse you to Allah as you try to hit a target that will drop him into a vat of pig grease. However, in the true spirit of Separate But Equal, Don Imus and someone from NE Jackson will also sit in the dunking booth for an equal amount of time. Tom Head will give a reading for two hours on why he can't figure out who the hell he is. Cliff Cargill will give lessons with his .80 caliber desert eagle, using Frank Melton photos as targets. Tackleberry will be on hand for an autograph session. KIM Waaaaaade will be passing out free titles and deeds to crackhouses formerly owned by The Wood Street Players.
If you get tired come relax at the Fox News Tent. To gain admittance to the VIP section, bring either your Republican Party ID card or a Rebel Flag. Bringing both will entitle you to free drinks.Get your tickets now. Since this is an event for trolls, no ID is required, just bring the hate. Bring the family, Trollfest '07 is for EVERYONE!!!
This is definitely a Beaver production.
Note: Security provided by INS.