Hinds County Chancellor Dewayne Thomas passed away after suffering a massive heart attack today at his home. Judge Thomas won election to the bench in 2006. Governor Tate Reeves will appoint a replacement.
Kingfish note: He was a fair judge and heard a few of my public records cases. He presided when Ole Miss and I slugged it out in court over the NCAA findings. Judge Thomas walked in sipping coffee from an Ole Miss mug. Oh damn. I knew I was sunk then I realized he would not be ruling for Ole Miss if he was pulling such a stunt. Jerk. ;-) Rest in peace, Judge Thomas. I enjoyed covering cases in your courtroom. The Mike Brown case was particularly fun.

13 comments:
Sad. Prayers for his family.
Wonderful guy. Lived a fantastic life with great spouse and family. He will be missed.
Great man.
Politically, one of the very few remaining reasonable Blue Dogs in Mississippi. RIP.
He ate lunch at char daily and was a proud ole miss rebel. Always wore red & blue ties for game week. Good man
Judge Thomas will be sorely missed. He was one of the last vestiges of judicial competency and fairness in Hinds County. Condolences to his family and may he rest in peace.
So heartbreaking. I’m so glad I was able to practice before him. He was fair and kind and the best sort of Rebel fan Ole Miss could want.
Thank you for your service, Judge Thomas. May your family find peace in the days ahead.
Good guy and great friend. My heart breaks.
A heartbreaking loss!
Judge Thomas was a fair, patient, and followed the law. What a great loss to Mississippi. May God provide comfort to his Family.
This one hurts. He was a good man
Who's gonna fill their shoes
Who's gonna stand that tall
Post a Comment